PDA

View Full Version here: : Breathing Bacteria

iceman
29-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Last week the European Space Agency reported new results from Mars Express that bolster the hope that small colonies of microbes may be eking out an existence under the Martian surface today.

kats
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Sif They arent. Its been obvious for ages. All they gots to do now is make it official.

Nick
19-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Bacteria can live in all types of environments, aslong as they have the basic blocks for making amino acids, synthesising carbohydrates and some critical trace elements, minerals and such, the'll grow!!
The ones on mars could be psychrophiles, which thrive in your fridge and freezer, much like the conditions on mars i do belive :)

iceman
20-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Well they've already stated as fact now that there was once water on mars, and there's likely frozen water under the surface in some areas..

It's ming-boggling conteplating what it might have been like, millions or billions of years ago, when there was oceans of water, some forms of life, plant life or fish even?

Nick
01-11-2004, 10:38 AM
I have heard that there was originally water on mars, they say this because of the lake and river like canals throughout the surface. But, i have also heard that these canals could have been cause by frozen Carbon Dioxide. But surely the find of bacteria on mars would indicate that water would be present, or that they can synthesise water somehow.