PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5 Mounnt

oggie doggie
12-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I am going through the "Which Mount" drama as seems to be the norm for newbies. My question(s) is in relation to the HEQ5 mount. I am looking to get into astrophotography and currently have an 8" Bintel f6 newt. According to the specs the HEQ5 would handle this OTA without any problems and this should be okay for planetary imaging without a guidescope. For Deep Space I was thinking of an ED80 and with a guide scope. Again I don't see any problems with this config on the HEQ5.

Given that the 2 configs come under the recommended weight for the HEQ5 would image quality be much different compared to the EQ6?

I know I have no room to move into a bigger OTA with the HEQ5 but to be honest I don't think that will be a problem for a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

iceman
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Mark

What will your primary focus be? Planetary imaging or deep-space imaging?

For deep-space imaging, you're better off trying to find the f/4 8" - being a faster scope, exposure times will be less. The shorter tube will also help on the lighter mount. However you will need the Baader MPCC to correct for coma.

Also remember that any DSLR may not come to focus in your 8" newt without moving the mirror up the tube, or getting a very low profile focuser.

The HEQ5 probably will do what you want, but I'd recommend the EQ6 for added stability. In light winds, you don't want a 3-5 minute exposure ruined by shaking.