PDA

View Full Version here: : How would you rank CCDs + add-ons for auto-guiding?

g__day
09-02-2008, 12:40 PM
For dedicated autoguiders (Vs S-Big dual chip affairs) I wonder how folk here would:

1. Match auto-guider CCD to autoguider OTA (type - refractor or other and aperature)
2. Rank auto-guiders CCD by brand and model
3. Rank auto-guiding software?

So three specific questions that I bet folk have alot of knowledge on here. If you aren't going with an S-Big arrangement does the ST-4 hands down beat all contenders? Is a Meade DSI II going to be a whole lot better than a Meade DSI? Is controlling guiding through MaximDL going to be better or worse than using PHD and/or are they better than the ST-4.

You get my drift - a basic set-up isn't too hard to produce - but if you really want to do well - what gear would you match at various price points? What would be good combinations of gear at say $500, $1,000, $1,500 or $2,000?

I'd really appreciate folks thoughts on these matters.

Many thanks,

Matthew

gbeal
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry Matt, I have the dual chipper, and love it. It alleviates the add-ons, and this is great. Other than that, and prior to getting the in-built guiding, I used a humble, non-modified ToUcam along with an ST80 and DR105 guide rings. It worked, and worked well, using K3CCDTools and a StarMate interface. This would be your $500 combo likely.
Gary

Zuts
09-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe you need a Widefield, DSLR sub $200 option as well. For wide field (80 mm F6 scope + DSLR) or (DSLR + 55 to 150mm lens) imaging i used to guide through a Meade LPI colour (100 bucks) + saxon 70mm Achro (50 bucks) using PhD. Guiding worked a treat :).

Paul

Hagar
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Mathew, A basic sort of setup for me,, DSI + PHD +ED80 and a GPUSB interface and it seems to work flawlessly I will certainly be looking at the QGuider to free up a USB port but doubt it will work any better than what I have. The cost of the dual chip cameras are prohibitive to me or at least my wife/ financial manager.

g__day
09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Gary,

Top of the food chain is the realms of integrated S-Big guider and main imager. But lets keep below that calibre of say entry cameras at $2K - $4K.

So below this range - interested to hear what folk have - but what's the best gear you could aspire to and why?

This thread is about ranking - what combination of gear is the best?

I use a Meg 80mm a Meade DSI and PHD. I might try MaximDL again and maybe I'll also try MaximDL with multiple guide stars script. So if I wanted better guiding - what part of my gear would I upgrade first - the CCD? Why and to what?

I'm trying to understand the pecking order of better gear here - that's all.

g__day
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
No one able to answer these three questions folks?

montewilson
13-02-2008, 04:34 AM
I can't answer this question with respect to the other options but I have an STV and an STL-11000. I generally use the STV and a 60mm Takahashi guidescope. It is only because with an Ha filter my choice of guide stars is very limited through the guide chip on the STL.

I have had my STV since 2002 and I love it. You can pick them up for about US $1500 - $2000.

g__day
13-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Well after trying PHD v1.8 - with its graphical drift errors now added - I decided to give MaximDL software a chance to impress me - and it did! After months trying to tune PHD, MaximDL on the same gear with default settings displayed all drift in real time on both axes clearly, and ended up with well under half the drift in RA and no DEC drift on a 10 minute shot of Hadar vs PHD on the same target after 10 runs at tweaking PHD.

So I wonder has anyone else experienced this? I will trial it some more - but hands down did it perform last night!

RB
13-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry can't help you Matthew as I'm only just getting into guiding myself.
I tried PHD 1.7 the other night but it kept crashing at irregular intervals plus I got fogged in so couldn't continue.

I was using an Orion ST-80 with the DMK to guide (ST4 inputs) my EM200.

I'm interested to see how PHD 1.8 goes but also like to give other proggies a go.

So you reckon give MaximDL a go hah?

[1ponders]
13-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm with Gary for a low cost option. For imaging with a DSLR through the ED80 I used a 60mm f7 refractor with lowly ToUcam and K3CCD Tools. It rarely failed me. I have also used DSI (does a good job once your used to the envisage sofware), SAC 4.2 (works ok), LPI (:scared: yuck), DMK21 (only tried it a couple of times so cant really comment, but I understand that the iceman uses it all the time with PhD) and ATiK 16IC does a great job when I can't find a star bright enough for the ToUcam.

But mostly I use either the ToUcam if I have ac power to burn and use the laptop or I use my TV Guider. It rocks!!