PDA

View Full Version here: : New Monitor Wow What a Difference

leon
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi guys, well today I have just seen what probably most of you see when I post and image for your inspection.

I purchased a new,very good LCD Monitor and have just hooked it up, and after I went through some of the images that I have posted, and can see what i could never see on the CRT. :eyepop:

The difference is incredible every thing is so sharp and bright, and the resolution. ;) spot on.

I had a laugh to myself when I thought back about the pic's i sent from the old monitor, they must have been horrid. :lol: :lol:

Anyway now i will be able to see exactly what i going to send you good folk. ;)

Leon :thumbsup:

kljucd1
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi,

Good One!! :thumbsup:

So what size did you get? I went LCD months ago and while I was at it I also went from a 17" to 22" inch :D.

Daniel...

leon
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Daniel, mine is a bit in between it is 19 inch, I have to admit they are a bit hard to get used to after the old CRT's.

It suits the me fine though ;)

kljucd1
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,

Yeah I know, I mean what to do with all that extra space on the desktop :lol:

Daniel...

RB
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Congrats Leon, looking forward to seeing the difference it will make.

I'm still using a CRT and don't plan on changing to LCD until this one dies.

What brand/make did you end up getting?

leon
03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Your not wrong there Daniel, now I'll have to fill that space with some other goodies :lol:

Andrew it is a LG brand, (lifes good) or it may have been named after me Leon Geljon. :rofl: :rofl:

Peter Ward
03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Leon,

Well done!

Peter

Phil
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
great stuff Leon make a big difference with a good LCD Monitor.
Phil

jase
03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Next purchase is a monitor calibration tool Leon. This will ensure your colour space is consistent assuming you may want to print some of your images in the future.

Zuts
03-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I am waiting for my CRT to die as well. It's a Compaq 17 inch which i paid 500 bucks for in 1998. I am beginning to think I may have to hit it with a hammer.......:)

Paul

g__day
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I still have two high end 19" monitors 1600 * 1200 @ 75 hertz mothballed since I went LCD to get desk space. Offer me $80 and their both yours for pick up - I jsut want them gone but there is very little market for things that cost me collectively $1,600 (instead of $2,200 - cause I really shopped around)!

How technology moves on!

DJVege
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean, g__day. I just threw out 2 x 15", and 2 x 17" CRTs. No one wants 'em anymore.

Omaroo
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Actually I think that this is pointless exercise for most people Jase - unless their monitor is sitting in a light booth with controlled 5k deg lighting, and you are using ICC profiles that control your monitors output to match the intended press footprint. Unless Leon intends to get into professionally supplying images to publishers then it'd be difficult to justify the bother. Unless you understand the whole process (including the reasons that we have ICC profiling) then it's too hard to do properly anyway.

The whole point of calibrating a monitor is for the operator to get an idea of what they are currently working on is going to look like on the actual printed page off a certain type of press (which is also calibrated to the type of inks and paper stock in use). Unless you have specific targets there's no point in calibration - especially if you aren't viewing the monitor under controlled conditions. This can all be done later on at pre-press stage if required anyway, and usually is by the publisher to suit their own mechanical specification.

This is what our company does for a living, and even we don't maintain this level of calibration for those monitors outside of a light booth. If you are producing images for web use, then it's a moot point in any case, as everyone's monitor is different.

erick
04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I have something like a 21" CRT in the garage. Not wanted at work, I was silly enough to take it. Cost $$$$$s. Weighs a ton. Size of a large suitcase!

I've used it a few times to give some big (??) screen experience to streaming video. Now waiting on the next hard rubbish day. :shrug:

MrB
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Around here LG used to stand for Low Grade... but things have changed, I'm sure your monitor is a bewdy. :)

sejanus
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
In principle I agree though I have found that if your monitor is decently calibrated you have a better chance of the image looking ok across a broad spread of screens than you would otherwise.

I have 2 x 30" screens and it's amazing how quickly they go out of whack. If I don't calibrate them for a few weeks I can drag an image from one screen to the other and watch the picture change. I generally do a calibration before getting pictures ready to print.

citivolus
04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
For me the monitor calibration tool made a big difference in processing the pictures that I print (and having them actually look right on paper the first time), and in passing them back and forth with my wife and having them look the same on both systems. I have the "Eye-One Display 2", which allows you to calibrate multiple systems/monitors on one license. Some of the other units are tied to one PC.