PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 overhaul

peter_4059
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm contemplating an overhaul of my EQ6 including a general cleanout/re-grease and possible bearing upgrade. I'm also wondering if I should upgrade the motors to to goto capable version.

I've had a look at various websites that give step-by-step instructions and it looks like a big job.

Has anyone been down this path already? Is there anyone out there that performs this type of mount service?

Thanks,

Peter

h0ughy
03-02-2008, 08:11 PM
try star optics

iceman
04-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Is yours not a skyscan version?

peter_4059
04-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Correct Mike. It has dual axis drives and hand controller but it is not the "goto-ready" or goto version. I have done the Shoestring Astronomy guide port mod to the handcontroller and have an Argo Navis.

I was advised when I purchased that a kit was available to upgrade it to the full goto version. However, I'm more interested in setting it up for autoguiding hence the regrease, bearing change and clearance adjustments but wondered if it was worth changing the motors at the same time while it is in pieces.

Peter

acropolite
04-02-2008, 08:13 AM
This site (http://timsastroblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/little-tune-up-for-eq6.html)has step by step instructions for tuneup of Eq6, it doesn't look all that complicated.

skwinty
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Peter
Suggest signing up for eq6 yahoo forum.Thre is tons of material and advice regarding eq6 overhaul.
Regards
Steve

peter_4059
04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Steve - I tried the EQ6 forum but a lot of the links are dead. The ones that did work are similar to the links in this thread.

I'm searching for the dummies guide...can't stand the thought of all those black greasy bits all over the floor with no idea of how to put them back together.

I'm also wondering if the goto stepper motors will improve guiding performance compared to the drives I already have. I think someone told me the stepper motors had a bit more grunt.

Has anyone here had this type of mount in pieces or had someone else regrease/adjust it for you?

Thanks,

Peter

skwinty
04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Peter
I have just recently received my eq6 pro so have not had any reason to overhaul.
The eq6 pro uses stepper motors and not servo motors so i would expect them to have the most grunt as the pro is the heavy duty mount.
If you search through the forum you should find more info.I see so far that only Suresh has answered your posting.
I do recall seeing a lot of postings on this subject a few weeks ago.
Good luck with your overhaul.
Unfortunately I cannot help any further with details of someone who would do the job for you.
Regards
Steve