PDA

View Full Version here: : 50mW Green Laser Pointer from Andrews Comm.

circumpolar
03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Just got a 50mW Pointer from Andrews Comm.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-andrews.htm
I used to have a 10mW but it has since been sold.

The power of this thing is impressive. The 10mW pointer used to give a strong beam but the difference is amazing!

It gives a very strong beam that can put a spot on overhead clouds! :eyepop:
When in a dark room, pointing it at a wall that has been painted with a roller gives an amazing 'Matrix' like effect on every other wall and surface. Billions of speckels everywhere. Quite unusual.

It has a nice Gold finish and seems silghtly larger and heaver then the 10mW.

My one concern is that this laser is powerfull enough to really interfear with aeroplains and the like. My old 10mW could not reach the clouds but this one does so with ease, even at an angle of 20degrees off zenith.
If idiots get a hold of this one it will only be a matter of time before they're baned! :mad2:

Great tool but maybe a double edged sword.

rmcpb
03-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Yep, its always the dipsticks that spoil a good thing for the masses. Then they ignore the ban and continue to play anyway while the normal ones of us, are there any normal astronomers, miss out using a great tool.

Starkler
03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Ahhh you're a bit late. Lasers of 1/10th the power of what you have are already illegal to have.

circumpolar
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Is this the case only in vic?

Peter Ward
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
They'll arrest me and throw away the key in Victoria ;)

http://www.atscope.com.au/laser/fog100mw.jpg

(125mw green laser on a misty night)

Contact me off list if you want something with a bit more grunt

Cheers
Peter

erick
03-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Go to your State Police pages and search for the list of prohibited weapons. When I checked South Australia last week, I didn't see laser pointers.

They are definitely on the Victorian list (any hand-held laser pointer of > 1 mWatt. They seem to extend the definition to hand-holdable - so placing it in a mount may not avoid the assignment as a prohibited weapon.)

erick
03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
......without a licence granted by the Commissioner of Police. She has kindly done so for me - but you have to complete paperwork, make a good case and pass background checks (the last one I'm guessing). And it wasn't particularly cheap.

Starkler
03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
My mistake, I thought the laws were federal.

Peter Ward
03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
They also book you in Victoria for going less than 10% over the speed limit.

Utter BS IMHO...here is the relevant Federal Act.

I, JAMES ERIC LLOYD, Minister for Local Government, Territories and Roads, determine this vehicle standard under subsection 7 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.

18.5. SPEEDOMETERS AND ODOMETERS (ALL VEHICLES)

18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 per cent.

Begging the question...how in the hell are you supposed to know?

leon
03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Yep funny you mention that Peter, we we only talking about that stupid 3 kilometers per hour rule with my brother who was visiting from QLD, up there it is also 10, as is NSW

Leon

Kokatha man
03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
As I reported on another thread very recently, I rang the SA Police "weapons hotline" whereby the answer was "we have no issues or regulations with laser pointers" - from his reply (he initially thought I had asked about gun-mounting them) it seems that you can also mount them on your rifle.....

g__day
03-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Peter,

Great shot of someone in a plane shining a powerful laser down and hitting your observatory! At least that's what I'd say to the police if they saw your picture and asked!

Matt

Night Owl
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Yep, if you get caught in possesion of or using a laser of greater than 1MW in VICTORIA you are going to be in deep trouble. Like a maximum $6000 and or 12 months in a prison.

But you can get them, if you apply for a permit, and have no history of doing illegal stuff.

Here is the info regarding what is a prohibited weapon...

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?a=internetBridgingPage&Media_ID=11456

And here is the application form to own and use one...

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?a=internetBridgingPage&Media_ID=10525

Good luck!

DeanoNZL
05-02-2008, 03:21 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Good humor Matt

ving
05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
yeah its only in vic... if they wre illegal in nsw do you thing andrews would be selling them? :rolleyes:

Peter Ward
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Victoria is the only State that that seems to be rather anal about laser pointers.

I suspect the lawmakers have watched a few too many star wars movies.

I'd be far more worried about a big Pacific Islander wielding a 8 cell aluminium Maglite than some astronomer with a pencil sized "laser" ( said with an Austin Powers emphasis)

They can be purchased quite legally in all other states.

I'd even venture as far as to say free trade between the states would allow mail order purchases from north of the border.

As to whether you have a Vic permit or not is not for a vendor to decide ;)

Peter Ward
05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Of course some may be wondering what the heck do you do with a 250mw class laser. I've found the following uses.

1) Align telescope scope optics in daylight
2) Check sky transparency (the Darth Vader look is in fact, bad)
3) Rough polar align
4) Point out objects to non-astronomers
5) use as a finder scope
6) create holograms

non astronomy uses include
7) Stop/scare away sulphur crested cocky's who chew bits of my house.
8) use as a toy to pop balloons, burn holes in plastic tape etc
9) use as an engraver for dark plastics
10) amuse my cats who like to chase the green dot.

As far as the dangers go...yes if you stare at the beam you will damage your retina just as you would if you stare at the sun. Fact of the matter is your body's natural response is to want to look away.

A brief flash does leave an after-image, but no worst that a good photographic flash-gun.
(oh my god...flash "gun" they'll probably be classed as weapons next!)

...how I loathe flaccid minded law makers....

Burn skin...well...not really....you have to hold the spot steady and then you can feel something like a sugar ant bite at best...yes I can see why they are on the prohibited weapons list in Vic.

g__day
05-02-2008, 11:53 PM
The red lasers in a CD burners can be alot more powerful and dangerous - by the videos I've seen.

Any class 3 laser can do "some" damage faster than a human eye can blink (10 ms) - so don't take chances over 20mW.

Night Owl
06-02-2008, 12:05 AM
:rolleyes: If they have a permit to sell them, they can sell them. :rolleyes:

Part 8 - Reason for Application
Display Prohibited Weapon Import or cause Prohibited Weapon to be imported
Advertise Prohibited Weapon for Sale Sell Prohibited Weapon

Geoff-
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Don't be so sure. The old pointer probably reached the clouds with ease, and with plenty of strength to dazzle a pilot. However it wasn't quite powerful enough to have enough light scattered directly back towards you to be visible back on the ground.

The light scatters in all directions when it hits a cloud, if it makes a visible dot on the cloud then it is a very very strong beam at that point.