PDA

View Full Version here: : 400D or the 40D ?

Jeffkop
31-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Could I have input into which of these to go for. I intend to use MaxDSLR software. Ive read and read and read, that just seems to lead into more reading. Any members with some ideas here I thank you in advance, Jeff.

iceman
31-01-2008, 08:07 AM
If I had the choice, I'd go the 40D.

Although there is a 450D coming out, if you want to wait :)

Zuts
31-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I think most people would go the 40D if they had a choice. It's not really a fair choice as the 40D is twice the price of the 400D and you would expect it to be better.

Certainly both cams can take decent astro photos.

Paul

acropolite
31-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm with Mike, the 450D has been announced, it has more resolution than either the 400D or 40D and many of the features of the 40D. For astrophotography it will also be lighter than the 40D.

Dennis
31-01-2008, 08:47 AM
On the 40D, the outstanding feature for me has been the “Remote Live View” capability as used on the PC. It has made focusing and composing the image a breeze.

Cheers

Dennis

astroturf
31-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I have just bought a 40d after weeks/months pondering the same question
the 40d has "live view" which is going to be helpful & a magnesium body which makes it heavier than the 400d

It's a great camera & I'm really enjoying it, every day I'm finding new features as I use it & I have'nt even started using it for astro work yet!

I purchased mine thru direct importers which took some of the financial pain away
good luck whichever way you go

Cheers
Bryan

g__day
31-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Qu.

Can the firmware of the 400D be upgraded to reveal the live view capability of the 40D? Often this is the case for Canon models.

Hagar
31-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi Jeffcop
I am another owner of a 40D and love it. It comes with a great software pack which contains a utility program which allows full control of the camera including bulb shooting through the USB connection to a computer.
The larger frame and Magnesium body is a little heavier but not enough to cause balancing problems. I expect the 450D to have smaller pixels than the 40D on the same size chip smaller Pixels + more light required = longer exposures required. I stll believe the 350D was probably the pick of the bunch for Astro imaging but the 40D has a lot of nice features.

Good luck with your choice, Stick to Canon and you can't go too far wrong.

Sharnbrook
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
In case no-one had noticed, the 450D has live view as well. I assume it can do remote live view, or possibly not?? I'd be interested to know, as I have to upgrade my old 300D sometime in the not too distant future.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

Sharnbrook
02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
The answer to my question is, Yes it does have remote live view.

"Live View
Available for the first time on a Canon consumer D-SLR, Live View mode makes it easier to shoot from awkward angles, such as ground-level macro shots or when shooting from a tripod. The image from the Live View mode is displayed as a smooth, 30fps video feed on the 3.0” LCD, which is 50% brighter than the screen of the EOS 400D. A grid line display and live histogram can be selected to help with shot composition and exposure. While focusing, the photographer can zoom in on specific details with up to 10x magnification of the image displayed on the LCD screen. Two types of auto focus are available: Quick AF flips the camera mirror momentarily to engage the AF sensor; Live AF uses the image contrast data to focus - a method familiar to anyone upgrading from a compact digital camera.
For studio environments, remote Live View lets the photographer compose, adjust settings and capture the shot from a PC using the supplied EOS utility software."

netwolf
02-02-2008, 05:03 PM
40D is better but more expensive.
i just did a search and found this can it be true? Live view on 400D!!
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Others/Canon-EOS-400D-Firmware-111.shtml

Terry B
02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I had this dilemma also before I bought a 40D last year. The live view thing is great and the fact that no additional items are needed to use the camera directly from the laptop. It allows you to take any length exposures you like and series of images with the software provided. I can tell it to do 10 x 300sec exposures and sit back. The 40D has 14 bit vs 12 bit images in the 400D that gives greater dynamic range.
The 400D needs an adapter to use the bulb exposure via the computer.
I know nothing about the 450D but as it is not available yet and has not been evaluated it is hard to have an opinion.
As a camera to use for day to day use I have been very happy with it. I was resistant to getting a digital SLR and have been using a wonderful pentax645 medium format camera. I must admit that I have used the film camera much less since owning the DSLR mainly because of the size difference.
Go for it:thumbsup:

asterisk
02-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I have Firmware 1.1.1 on my 400D - unless it is hiding somewhere, I do not have LiveView - perhaps someone got a bit too enthusiastic!

Regards

netwolf
02-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Geoff I think your right.

Jeffkop
02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks all for your advise .. Have bought a 40D with AC power supply.

RB
02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Excellent choice.

I had a quick look at one today, it handles beautifully and feels very sturdy !