PDA

View Full Version here: : Solar filters

caleb
30-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a Maksutov Skywatcher telescope, so I will need to get a solar filter on the apeature lens if thats what its called.
I know there not cheap (to me) maybe to you rich people but are they worth it and where can I get a resonably cheap one.
I have a 80mm apeature which is a fraction over 3 inches.
And howcome you use inches, where in Australia not America?

edwardsdj
30-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Caleb,

Presumably you want to watch the solar eclipse :)

I'd be tempted to get an A4 sheet of Baader Astro-Solar Safety film for $45 from here: http://www.aoe.com.au/solarobserving.html

You will have enough material to make a filters for your 80mm, the finder, any binoculars you might have and even to make some eclipse glasses.

I don't hesitate to wrap some around the objective lenses of binoculars/finders with a rubber band for a one-off use during these events.

If you want to reuse your filter(s) make a simple housing with some cardboard and double-sided tape. Just make sure your filter(s) won't fall off! Securing them with tape is a good idea.

I got a 0.5 square meter sheet about five years ago and still have heaps left for these occasional events that involve looking at the Sun.

If you get a filter pre-made for your apeture, it will be more expensive and you wont be able to use the finder, binoculars or your eyes during the event.

Hope this helps.

Have fun,
Doug

caleb
30-01-2008, 04:58 PM
thanks for the info.
but is this completely safe? and if i do buy this film would just one layer be enough or should there be a few added.
and is there still colour, i see images on this site with awesome looking flares shooting out the side.

caleb
30-01-2008, 05:08 PM
i was searching on the net and i just found a solar filter for the same scope i have.
do you think its ok for $35
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/solar-filters.asp?ProdID=MAS-277d
scroll down to:
SkyWatcher Solar Filter for 80mm Refractor

Economical Full Aperture Baader Solar film filter

Our Price: $35.00

edwardsdj
30-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Caleb,

That does look good to me. The Baader film is safe (as long as you don't scratch or break it) and the colour of the Sun is a neutral white (from memory). You should only use a single sheet.

This is the easy way. You get a small disk of the Baader Astrosolar safety film already mounted in a cell for you. For a similar price you could get a whole A4 sheet of the same film. Enough for finders, binoculars and sunglasses.

The Sun will look like a white featureless disk. There may be a sunspot or two and possibly some faculae visible but it will be nothing like those colourful hydrogren alpha shots that you see. The equipment for this starts at around $900.

Great for observing a partial solar eclipse or a transit of Mercury or Venus though.

Have fun,
Doug

caleb
30-01-2008, 08:08 PM
i think i'l let it pass for a while

ParanoidAlien
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,

just want to make sure this is the correct filter for my 70mm SW to see the eclipse tommorrow??

http://www.kirkscameras.com.au//component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,532/category_id,113/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

Zuts
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Hmmm

That filter definately wouldn't work in Sydney tomorrow :(, in Melbourne though you may have more luck :)

Paul

erick
06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Looks good. Can you carry your scope in to the shop to test it and be sure? Make sure it's a snug fit - so it won't easily get knocked off or blown off with a breeze.