PDA

View Full Version here: : C10-NGT thinking about selling and getting ??

michaelcw
29-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Hello,

I am relatively new to the site.

I have a C10-NGT, due to a recent accident I have only been able to use it about 4 times. (Heavy scope + mount is an issue)

I was thinking about selling the 10" OTA and getting a lower weight OTA (Such as the C8-A OTA) and keeping the CG-5 mount. Overall it would still be a good combo, but the combined weight is still high.

The question is:

Am I better off selling the complete C10 + Mount and getting one of the Nexstar SE kits (Nextar 6SE or 8SE), lower weight and very simple to setup, but not as good on specs. (Happy :) for comments on other brands)

This is all in the aim of some viewing with my kids and astro photography with a Canon 400D.

Any thoughts?

netwolf
29-01-2008, 01:51 AM
10" is good for visual appeture but then better on a dob mount. If you are a DIY person then you could build this easily. But for imaging you need a good mount, spend more on your mount and you will be better of in the long run.

For imaging DSO with 400D, I would say a 80mm retractor is the better starting point and your current mount should handle that ok.

Alternatively you could go for a EQ6 mount and keep you 10". See Eric Ezystyles images posted with this setup using a DSLR. This setup would also double nicely for Planet imaging but you will need to get a 3-5x barlow to increase your image scale. This is possibly the optimum solution given what you have at present.

For Planetary the a C8 on a Fork mount or EQ mount would do, as long as the mount can track well. DSO work at this focal length will require a substantially better equatorial mount a EQ6 could be tuned to do it. If you are getting a used one, the C8 late 90's models with starbright are just right for this.

I think best for you maybe a the EQ6 mount, keep the 10" and add a 80mm ED Refractor. Throw in a Toucam and a barlow and your all set. If you can afford it or can save and wait get a G-11 will last you longer and can handle a wider range of OTA's. Also a Fork mount will limit your OTA choice to one. Now that I have the G-11 I find i am free to chop an change my OTA as needed to suit my current imaging needs. Like i said before a good mount is the key to long term success.

Regards
Fahim

roccodm
29-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Mike i got tired of hauling my AR5 out for short observing sessisions- i got a piece of 3/4 ply wood an cut it out in the fashion of the tripod add 3 inch caster wheels to it and secured the scope to the board with eye hooks and bunge cords- now i simply push it in and out of the garage with no effort at all- just a thought rocco WB9QPU.

OneOfOne
29-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I used to have a C8-NGT and initially it I considered it a "heavy" mount and scope too. If you have a problem with the weight, as you said, changing down to the smaller tube won't save a lot in weight. As you say one of the smaller single fork mounts may be a better option. I don't know what sort of weight saving you will get though. The EQ mount will break down to the tripod, counterweight and tube. The forks usually break down to two pieces, tripod and tube/fork assembly (I would appreciate it if someone who owns an SE could clarify here). The single fork should be much lighter than using a twin fork, something like a CPC or a Meade. Overall though, the SE may be a lot easier for someone who has a problem carrying a heavy scope.

If you change to an SCT, you have to deal with other issues that don't occur with the Newt at the moment. Dew will be a problem in colder weather and the collimation is a very different procedure.

The 8SE may still be suitable for some sort of astro photography, I think the 6SE may be getting a bit small for visual as the secondary in an SCT is bigger than the same size Newt. Alternatively, a good 80-100ED would be a good choice for photography (maybe even on the CG5?), but you will miss a lot visually compared to your existing 10". If you go to something like an EQ6 you will get a very good setup, but an EQ6 is MUCH heavier than your existing CG5 and it appears weight is a major concern to you.

See if you can find someone with the scope you want and give it a lift...

Greenswale
29-01-2008, 01:28 PM
One of my prime reasons for purchasing my Nexstar 6SE was portability. That that may be interpreted to mean light and easy to handle. And it is!

I have the scope permanently set up at home, adjacent a door. When it is viewing time, open the door, carry the assembled scope (tripod and all) out to the spot where I have maked where each foot of the tripod should sit (ie the mount will be level), hook up a bit of stuff and away. Easy.

Travelling in the car is simple and economical on space, scope assembly lives in its delivery box separate from the tripod and other stuff. Assembly is very low effort and quite fast.

The scope is meeting my needs now, but something bigger will happen in the future, particularly when I stop travelling. Portability will not be such an issue then, because one has to accept that bigger is..... well, bigger!

It would be very hard to go from a 10" to 6" - but kids would love it.

michaelcw
02-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I will look around for a 80-100ED and see how things go.
In the longer run may still go for the 8" SE or the change to the C8-A (Overall including counter weights the total weight drops over 25Kg) making it easier to handle.
Any ideas on what a C10 OTA is worth??