PDA

View Full Version here: : North East South West in the eyepiece!

Domol
28-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm definitively starting to go batty! (in my old age) i've read several different articles on the web and they seem to conflict with each other and what i have worked out. If anyone with a SCT out there can help, what is the correct orientation of North East South West at the eyepiece? Anyone have any easy to remember rule for SCts (with diagonal attached). Thanks in advance.:D

Terry B
28-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Depends on a few things.
Are you using a diagonal?
What direction is the diagonal aimed? ie perpendicular with the mount or at an angle?
It is easiest to just look through you scope and nudge the scope southward and see what direction the stars move. This gives you the orientation then nudge it east to work out if image is inverted.

Domol
28-01-2008, 11:45 PM
i'm using a 90 degree diagonal, and i rotate it so it's pointing up. I've tried nudging scope North, west etc, but this is where i get confused. I thought that maybe someone with a SCT could supply common answer. sounds like it varies greatly depending on setup of digonal. Thks for your replies.

netwolf
31-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Have a read of this article, there is a good description of how to work this out.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,405,0,0,1,0

Essentially if you turn of your Tacking system and watch the natural star drift you can work out your E-W direction, star should drift West so the opposite is East. Then it depends on the number of mirror surfaces you have in your system as to which is N-S. In your system you have Primary, Secondary and Diagonal so thats 3. For an Odd number WNES will be anticlockwise, for an even number WNES will be clockwise.

Regards
Fahim