PDA

View Full Version here: : Astro Photo Scopes?

Davekyn
26-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi,
could anyone recomend what way I should go...as in what scopes I should consider for astro photography @ Andrews communication.com.

Thus far, I've read I'm better off with something like the C8-SGT 8 over your average 6inch refractor @ the same site.

I am wondering should I just go the ATO on the C8-SGT 8 and get a better mount??? I dont really want to spen anymore than $2500 on the whole thing so was actually hoping that mount would do? If not, still advise on the best way to go about it in your opinion.

If you had $3000.00 to spend at http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm how would you spend it with astro photoraphy in mind:screwy:

CHEERS

madtuna
26-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not the best one to answer your question, but if I personally had 3 g's to spend I'd be looking second hand

[1ponders]
26-01-2008, 11:56 PM
:welcome: Davekyn

What sort of photography are you considering? For luna and planetary photography the C8 and ToUcam/DMK/DBK etc, would be fine (you would need to get a barlow or powermate to increase the Focal Length = greater magnification). But at f/10 focal ratio it is a bit too slow for deep sky objects. You might want to consider a 10" newtonian @ f/4.5 -5 or schmidt newt at f/4 or an ED80 refractor and a DSLR. Also for DSO you will need a mount that is capable of very accurate polar alignment and tracking. Autoguiding options would also be useful.

ballaratdragons
27-01-2008, 12:26 AM
I know it is beyond your budget, but the best Astrophotography SCT on the Andrews site is the C9.25-SGT 9.25" Go-To XLT. $3699.00

The best Refractor at Andrews within budget would be the Skywatcher PROED100 ED Apochromatic refractor 100mm x 900mm (inclusions as per OTA below) with HEQ5PRO SynScan Go-To white coloured equatorial mount/tripod and V3.0 flash programmable hand controller $2899.00

Davekyn
27-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys,
if I were to give preference I would choose DSO over planets...I just thought this guy at the following website had a good set up and some great pics:
http://jthommes.com/Astro/
If you check his equipment out, maybe you could make some coments on that....
Thanks again...:)

[1ponders]
27-01-2008, 10:45 AM
The problem with the C8 for DSOs is that with such a long focal length it will be very challenging to guide unless you have a very good mount. As well as this the f/10 focal ratio means you will have to increase your exposure times considerably. eg a 5 min exposure with an f/5 scope will mean a 20 min exposure with an f/10. You can of course get a focal reducer which will reduce the C8 to f/6.3, but even then a focal length of 1250mm is still a challenge to guide with.

As a beginner to DSO imaging I would suggest as short a focal length and a fast set of optics until you learn the ropes, so to speak. Maybe consider widefield piggyback imaging first with 50 - 200 mm lenses.

dugnsuz
27-01-2008, 12:17 PM
At Andrews with a $3k budget I would consider the Skywatcher ProED80 or ProED100 on the HEQ5PRO mount - mount is GoTo, has PEC correction etc and is ready to go for autoguiding.
2 cents given...
Doug

Davekyn
28-01-2008, 09:19 AM
OK,
you have definately got me interested in the PRO-ED series, but I cannot seem to find any astro shots on the web with these little guys.

I kind of understand what you mean about focal ratio, but thought those Cassegrain Telescopes (http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-content-section-10-celestron.htm#cassegrain) I mentioned were good enough, but bugger having to track that long. I guess I have seen more and more pics and articles on people using those little ED refractors for astro, BUT seriously! can you take decent DSO shots with such a small aperature?

Does the fluride tech in those lense's really outweigh apperature??? Dont get me wrong they look like a really great scope and all...It's just when I pictured my self moving on from my plastic 60mm tasco, I kind of pictured it differently LOL....

Seriously...I am interested...I was thinking mabey the PRO-ED 100 OTA @
http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/ProductMenus/Telescopes/tabid/42/CategoryID/362/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/174/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2CP roductName
However the F-ratio seems a lot more than the 80mm version comming in @ F-9, or is that fast enough?

Sorry, still learning :sadeyes:

Geoff45
29-01-2008, 01:58 PM
It depends on what you photograph. Great pics of Orion neb, lagoon, rosette, andromeda galaxy etc (ie wide field objects), but pretty hopeless on most planetary nebs, or 2 arc min galaxies. You have to fit the object to the scope. You'd have your work cut out trying to get a decent image of the Andromeda Galaxy through a large aperture f8 scope.
Geoff

dugnsuz
29-01-2008, 02:38 PM
1. Lots of images in the Deep Sky section, also check the Canon 40D link in my signature below...pics taken with ED80. As for them being "decent" well that's in the eye of the beholder!!;)

2. The exotic glasses in these scopes help to eliminate horrible chromatic aberration (purple circles around bright stars) associated with photographs taken with cheaper achromatic refractors like your 60mm tasco.
No substitute for aperture though.

But, you have to really consider if you want a scope purely for visual use, astrophotography or both!
If both an 8" newtonian reflector on a decent mount (don't skimp on the mount if photography is an option) may be worth considering.

Cheers
Doug

ps Andrews have the same ED100 scope in your link for $1500 - a saving of $197!!!