PDA

View Full Version here: : would you trust these solar eclipse glasses

caleb
17-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I found these on ebay for US$3.75 and i was think of getting them, what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Eclipse-Glasses-Shades_W0QQitemZ140197826220QQihZ00 4QQcategoryZ74923QQssPageNameZWDVWQ QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Matty P
17-01-2008, 05:51 PM
It is really up to you, they either work or they don't.

For US$3.75 is a bit on the cheap side :shrug:. Maybe have a look if anyone has left a review about those kind of Solar glasses. I'm pretty they will work, it's your decision.

kljucd1
17-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi,

That works out to approx AUD$5.50 delivered. You can get them from Bintel (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm)for $6.00 not delivered. Of course you may still want to ask them some questions about the quality.

Regards.

Daniel...

vinnie
17-01-2008, 06:14 PM
No

Omaroo
17-01-2008, 06:31 PM
1) You look at the sun for a while without protection of any kind - certain blindness.

2) You look at a solar eclipse for a while without protection of any kind - certain blindness.

3) "US$3.75" protection solution - priceless.

I reckon I'd trust them to protect your eyes, but not mine.....:whistle:

vinnie
17-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Repeat "would you trust these glasses"

NO

caleb
17-01-2008, 08:13 PM
you raise a good point there, my eyes are priceless and buying a cheap eyepiece makes my image dodgy, but buying cheap glasses could ruin my eyes!!!

leon
17-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Depends on how much you value your sight i suppose.

Leon

RAJAH235
17-01-2008, 08:28 PM
FWIW.
I have 4 pairs of these 'types' of 'Solar Eclipse Shades', from 2 different manufacturers.
They all work perfectly well. No problems at all.
The only thing I recommend is, do not just rely on them staying on your head, as any breeze may dislodge them. Hold them on.
One member of our club imported them from the U.S. especially for the Ceduna total eclipse.
I cannot say how many pairs he sold but there were no reports of anyone being 'blinded' from using them either before or after that event.
They do inhibit the visible/infared/ultraviolet light to the %age specified, exactly as stated & as such, are perfectly safe to use.
I cut a pair in half to use on my binoculars for the Venus transit & to show visitors the sun whilst waiting for Comet McNaught in January 07.
No-one complained about any discomfort or 'going blind'.
I repeat......'They are perfectly safe if used correctly'.
Bintel would not sell them, otherwise.
Ta muchly.
Regards, L..

ps. I often get them out when sailing to let our Radio Yachting members & other interested parties, have a look through the pair that are always in my car. Again, No problems.

rumples riot
18-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes buy the ones from Bintel. As a person who images the sun on a regular basis and views it frequently, you cannot take any chances. Bintel or any astronomy store in Australia will not sell any solar viewing equipment that is not safe. Take my advice and buy your solar glasses from an Aussie retailer.

Outbackmanyep
23-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I bought some solar film from Telescopes-Astronomy Online and made my own 12" x 12" card with a 6" x 3" window, sandwiched the film in the card and glued and taped together!
Perfect viewing window!

duncan
23-01-2008, 11:22 PM
The photo of them makes them look small. Buy local or make your own!!!!!!!!
Cheers:thumbsup: