PDA

View Full Version here: : William Optics Zenithstar II 80mm - recommendations

mark3d
11-01-2008, 01:59 AM
hi all -

we want casual, shallow sky observing of the planets and interesting periodic things like comets as a fun way for the family to get together and for camping trips, so the scope needs to be rather portable (grab n go). we currently have 10x50 binoculars but want more! i figure this scope is like 100x80 so its a reasonable upgrade.

i was sold on an 8" dob though - but have come to the conclusion the zenithstar is the scope for us (it is now a joint purchase with a relative who will take it bush a few times a year - and when thinking seriously we also need portability). does the zenithstar have decent aperture/resolving power for viewing and not just a massive camera lens? ;) im happy to spend more on this if it better suits our needs, but not if it needs a camera.

we have a solid video tripod already, so with a diagonal and a couple of eyepieces we would be underway. i like the idea of spending most of the budget on a quality OTA and then adding other quality parts over time like EP's, barlows and a mount.

incidentally, can you use any diagonal with this scope or do i have to buy the williams optics one? otherwise id be tempted to get a GSO one to begin with. we could just get an extender tube but i bet we would regret not getting a diagonal ;)

thanks for reading :)

cheers
Mark

P.S. i know dob vs. small refractor is apples and oranges - like in a camera forum comparing SLR and point-and-shoot - but both have their benefits and weaknesses!

dannat
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
which model are you looking at? the ED or semi apo(petzval).
I have a WO 66 and yes you can use GSO diagonals or other brand diagonals.
I have put mine on a manfrotto tripod - the manfrotto handles it well but some other tripods are not so sturdy make sure you have a good one (this is less important when land viewing)
Keep in mind when terrestrial viewing the image will not be how you see it with your eyes(but will be back to front or mirror image). Also depending if the scope has a SCT diagonal I don't believe you can get an erect image (which lets you see the image under true orientation.)
I am really happy with mine - the quality of construction / optics are very good. even the carring case is quality.
hope this helps

mark3d
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
gday Daniel, thanks for that. Looking at getting the ED.

dannat
11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Andrews are really competitively priced on WO stuff if you haven't already checked them out