PDA

View Full Version here: : Absolutely Perfect Day, until . . . .

ballaratdragons
03-01-2008, 11:15 PM
I have had a very successful day today fixing my EQ6 :2thumbs:

I got rid of the Backlash in both axis, :cool: and also found a few other defects which I spent many hours fixing. :party:

The mount now runs like a dream :thumbsup:

Now that I had it running like fine German clockwork, I decided it is time to put the pier I restored (from Bert) into the Observatory, and get ready for a night of improved astrophotography, due to a tuned up mount and a pier that cables can't tangle up on.

I placed the repaired mount onto the pier to test it and it is rock solid!!!!!!!!!!

I removed the EQ6 Tripod from the Obs (no easy feat, due to lack of room, the Obs is tiny), stripped out all the cables, power board etc etc, and completely cut the floor out of the obs (so the pier had a good footing onto the concrete under the obs).

About 2 hours later I lifted the pier over and into the obs (nearly done my back, coz it won't fit in through the door), angled the feet correctly so one foot is pointing south (to stop tipping) and was ready to place the Mount on top.

This has been a great day, fixing my mount, finally using the pier,

Then . . . .

The obs door won't shut!!!!! :eyepop:

No matter what I did to orient the pier, the feet get in the way of the door!

After another half hour of struggling, shoving, cursing and sweating, I packed everything away and come inside deflated and dejected. :(

Cheryl said "What's the matter, did something go wrong?"

When I explained it all to her, she just said "build a bigger observatory" :P

ballaratdragons
04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh, by the way, the point wasn't about Cheryl saying 'get a bigger obs'.

It was the annoying part about spending all day fixing the mount, altering the obs etc, but not getting to try my newly adjusted mount and having to pack everything away until I build a bigger obs :sad:

davidpretorius
04-01-2008, 01:04 AM
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhh yes, the old feet of the pier trick..........missed it by that much :rofl:

GrahamL
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
can you hang the door differantlly ken ?...or build an extended frame around
the existing doorway and hang it a little further out ?

acropolite
04-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Great to hear you tackled the job Ken, as for the Pier problem I'm sure you'll find an answer, maybe just cut a little off the bottom of the door, or get the hammer and saw out and add a small portico to the front of the OBS.

Terry B
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Does the door have to open inwards?

ballaratdragons
04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
To answer all the questions at once, No, the little obs can't be added to, resized, or have the door swing outwards.

About the only thing worth trying is Phils idea of cutting a bit off the bottom corner of the door. :thumbsup:

As long as snakes don't find the hole and use the cubby as a nice home :eyepop:

A new, larger obs would be the best answer. Not only due to the door problem, but because the scope misses each wall by only 5mm as it slews around!!!!!!! With that small tolerance, it took me a while to centre the mount.

Danb
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Well if it isnt the feet are too big to fit then you also have the mandatory weather patterns moving in as soon as you purchase anything new or get to a point where you want to set up again:help:. I just spent over 3,000.00 on a new imager plus a side by side saddle for my EQ6 and here comes the weather lol.
Hey, I signed up here just because I ran across your post about balancing vs backlash. Wish I woulda found you sooner as I just adjusted all of the physical backlash out of both axis' on my mount a couple months ago.. it runs smooth now and doesnt make noises that it used to make and its only got about 60 hours or so of run time (1 year old last month).
Anyway, I didnt see anyone steer you towards the EQ6 yahoo group?
This is probably the premier place for EQ6 users with any kind of problem you can imagine. Please join up! Every little problem I have had, and it hasnt been many but, these guys have been right there within the day with the right answers, or.. I have found my answers in old posts as someone else has already been there done that:) They are very helpful:thumbsup:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EQ6/?yguid=323751109:welcome:

ving
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
i can see a bigger observatory in you not too distant future ken ;)

mill
04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Whahahahaha!!!!!!
Ken have you never heard of measure twice, fit once? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl ::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ballaratdragons
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

All Fixed!!!! :thumbsup:

I fiddled, cut, hacked, butchered and every other technical building term, and I got the door to swing outwards!!!!!!!! :P

Everything fits and is all ready to go. I'm just waiting for dark to polar align.

And true to nature, a thunderstorm is on its way. Cloudy already :rofl:

Thanks again for the suggestions. At least one of them worked, thanks Terry :thumbsup:

It was a very tight squash in there trying to rewire everything. I had to sit or lay on the floor with my back stuck halfway out the door, cramping up, 38 degrees, but I got there.

Cheryl stood looking in, laughing at me all squashed up in there :rolleyes: and kept taking photos!!!
I wasn't impressed :lol:

Here's one of me squashed in rewiring :P