PDA

View Full Version here: : Storage cases

beren
10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
One thing thats been bugging me since i got my scope is having a suitable storage case for home and field. Last week i finished making one myself made out of 16mm MDF but its to bulky and just doesnt feel stong enough {:whistle: im not a carpenter}. It would be great to have a case from JMI but thats way out of my budget so ive done a bit of searching for a company that makes custom made stuff . Found one place here in perth that sells brand and custom make ones plus foam inserts of all sizes and shapes ..... www.protectivecases.com.au . The owner was very happy to talk options and im getting one made up for just under $500 , its going to have wheels, handles and attractive aluminium skirts and should be ready for Chrissie . Ill pass on progress and if your interested have a look at their site.

rumples riot
10-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Thats excellent mate, the JMI's are too expensive, and I am sure yours will be just as good and a hell of a lot more cheaper. Well done.

Paul

Vermin
11-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Soaking the foam in water and freezing it is supposed to help with the cutting, especially with lower density foams.

Thanks for the link.

V.

Vermin
11-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I got my local foam cutter to cut semi circular channels in the foam so my ep's lay down on their side as shown in this picture. Much easier than cutting holes. The lid has channels cut in it too but I turned it upside down as it was a bit loose. Putting in a pack of silica gel (for moisture absorption) is a good idea too.

Vermin
11-12-2004, 09:55 PM
35mm Pan (fantastic wide field ep!!)
20mm TV Plossl
17mm Nagler
13mm Nagler
7mm Nagler
5mm Radian
3-6mm zoom

2" Barlow
1.25" Holographic laser collimator
2" Thousand Oaks LP-2 filter (narrow band light pollution)
1.25" Celestron variable polarizing filter

The only other addition I plan to make is for two of the new 24mm Panoptics and a Denk binoviewer with 2 way powerswitch, when my bank balance allows - probably not for another 6 months.

The variable polarizing filter requires too much infocus (even with a barlow) to use in my TV101. Using just one part of the filter screwed into a 1.25" ep sort of works (the threads don't quite match). Still it helps cut glare when doing Lunar observing.

iceman
13-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Very nice eyepiece set Vermin.. i'll have to swap eyepiece cases with you when you're not watching :P

Vermin
13-12-2004, 10:38 AM
I've got to build it first!

V.

beren
22-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Took delivery of my storage case today ...... Workmanship and quality outstanding and i genuinely recommend if anybody is seeking a custom case give Protective Cases a call , Greg {the owner } is very friendly and provides top class customer service .

Dave47tuc
22-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Stuart,
That is a great looking case.:cool2:
I hope it does the job for you.:)

Best.

:astron:

iceman
22-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Very nice Stuart, well worth the money by the looks of it!

rumples riot
22-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Wow, better than the JMI by far. Wish I had done the same Stuart. I bet you are really happy, notice its even got wheels. Very Good

Mick
22-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Very impressive Stuart looks nice and compact as well. :D

bytor666
24-12-2004, 03:14 AM
hey Vermin...those eyepieces must be a real treat....waaaaaaaaa I wish those were mine ......ok....im gonna go to sleep now and im gonna have a dream with me in it ....the dream involves me and I suddenly own ALL OF THESE EYEPIECES MAGICALLY !!!!...( then of course I wake up and it's back to the drawing board)...hehehehehe.....o well its nice to dream !!!!!!....

iceman
24-12-2004, 06:21 AM
I know what you mean, i'm going to take a trip to Tasmania and do a switcheroo on him.. his case for mine! He won't notice! :P

wavelandscott
06-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I just completed today an eyepiece case...

I started with an aluminum tool box from Bunnings (on sale now for A$25...but, I got the last one at my local store...it was missing the strap and the Manager sold it to me for A$10!). I removed the stuff inside (dividers etc.)

A quick trip to "Foam Booth" (a store specializing in all things Foam) a few minutes with a Stanley knife and I've got a new eyepiece case...

All told I spent A$37!

I just need Vermin's eyepieces now and I will be set!

Sorry I don't have a picture to attach...

Cheers All!

bytor666
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
hey waveland scott....do u have any pics of that case outside & inside???....just curious, because I went out and did the same thing !!!!!....(please excuse the bad cut job on my foam)...lol

wavelandscott
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I still don't have a picture to attach but, the interior of the case looks just like yours...Great minds think alike!

I picked different foam (without the scallops) and a little thicker in the lid...I did the bottom (base) with two different thickness just like you did...

I used a "magic marker" to draw straight lines and trace around my eyepieces...that way wife willing, I can some day add another eyepiece or two or three...

My first few cuts were similar but, I got smoother as I went and the cutting improved once I started doing the final cuts from "the backside"...once I could "see" where the cut from the top was coming through...

Cheers...

Striker
08-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Thats my next project aswell...making a eyepiece case....thanks for all the idea's and tips boys...will post photo's once finished but will be a couple of weeks away.

MintSauce
09-01-2005, 12:20 AM
This is my case a week ago, I've put some egg carton foam in the top since then as the 2" eye pieces were still bouncing a little

MintSauce
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
for got to say it was a WA salvage brief case for $21 and $20 of foam (the guy fitted bottom in case for me and it's glued well in)

G.

Starkler
09-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I got this aluminium case from Radio parts. The foam is already pre-cut into squares and you just tear bits out where you want to make a hole, brilliant !

http://gar.customer.netspace.net.au/scope2/100_0225.jpg

MintSauce
09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
nice looking case geoff, that's the sort I wanted but could not find here in Kal: the briefcase is quite sturdy and about the right size tho.

G.

iceman
09-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Where did you get the foam from Geoff?

Striker
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
The wife said she would give me her shiny metal Make-up case but I said No Thanks as the floral interior and insert wasn't my style.....lol....

Love that foam that is sliced already...and pull out when needed....have to look for some of that...thanks.

Starkler
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Got it here. It comes with the foam.

case (http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Product=07322020)

$60.85 but i got it for about $35 as our company has an account with them :D

bytor666
12-01-2005, 06:06 PM
wow!!!...those cases are just wonderful!!!....Ill probably get another piece of foam and cut mine out better this time ...although the 2 eyepieces I have look just fine in the case and they sit in the foam firmly. Thanks for the tips!!!......you guys are great at what you do and Im more than willing to watch and learn from you all !!!!!

Striker
13-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Time to ring Bintel.....

Striker
19-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I am checking out a scope case this week.....I dont feal comfortable paying over $300 for the material case that you use your packaged foam with when you can get something like your's Aragorn for under $500......

I made some Phone calls to a case maker who quoted me over the phone around $400 including the moulded foam...with a few extras like wheel and triming would probably cost about the same as your Aragorn....the price for the Meade material case is like $325 for the 10"......extra $100 - $150 you get a great aluminium case......well worth it.

I will let you know how I go.

Jimmy
23-01-2005, 10:53 PM
very impressive cases.....ill get one myself i think!!

great stuff!!