PDA

View Full Version here: : New project scope..do you recognise it?

Mark
26-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Here's my new old scope. It's been a long wait for this to be mine too! Although it's not actually here with me yet, as it's currently residing with relatives until I can pick it up. And by pick up, I mean a 12 hour drive one way. :D
Do you recognise it? Kudos if you can provide me specs!

Cheers,
Mark

koputai
26-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Yep, I recognise it, it was on Ebay a month or so ago!
Other than that though, sorry, can't help.

Cheers,
Jason.

Miaplacidus
26-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Not sure about the scope, but I think the mount came out of an old car of mine. (Runs like a dream, now.)

Mark
26-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Indeed it was. Late October.

Oh, I know all about the scope. I recognised it for what it was and was surprised when no one bid on it. It didn't sell, and the more I thought about it the more I wanted it. It wasn't re-listed and was to be sold privately. So I bought it.

GrahamL
26-12-2007, 12:09 PM
no idea .. though the mount of all things looks familiar somehow ?

australian Ingenuity ?

Satchmo
28-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Its an Astro Optical 8" F7 Newtonian on Samson mount circa 1985-1995..

Mark
28-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Well spotted Sir!

This is a late 80's model. It comes with all sorts of goodies including the drive for the Samson. Apparently the mirror was re-coated a few years back, but I will provide some TLC and it will be become my dedicated planetary scope.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark
15-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Well, it's been 10 years since I got this scope. I have now only just received a set of rings and a plate to attach to it. I stopped looking for rings that would fit within the first few months of owning it. Just recently I was browsing the Orion Optics UK web site and I noticed they had the correct sized rings for this old AOS scope. Now I just need these clouds to bugger off.

xelasnave
15-11-2017, 02:47 PM
It will be interesting to hear how it goes.
Having waited so long hopefully the clouds will give you a break.
Great story.

alex