PDA

View Full Version here: : Suggestions for Photography scope

Kirkus
19-12-2007, 05:46 AM
I love my 10" Dob, and when I bought it, the thought of astrophotography hadn't even entered my mind. But I've been bitten.

In several months I'll be able to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 (US) for a new/used scope. Obviously tracking is going to be important to me. But I wonder what the trade off would be between good tracking abilities and optics.

I'm wondering if some of you could share your suggestions concerning what I might buy. It's not much money, I realize, but surely there's something out there in that price range that might be a good start for me.

Would it be wise to spend the money on a platform for my Dob? Would that track well enough for photography?

I'd be using my webcam set up and stacking software, not DSLR or film.

Any thoughts?

iceman
19-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi Kirkus.

What did you want to photography? Planetary/Lunar, or deep-space images?

If it's webcam, that pretty much limits you to solar system objects (moon and planets). For that purpose, an EQ platform will do the job well and will fit within your budget. It also keeps the 10" dob in a perfect position for visual observing.

Alternatively, you could get an EQ6 (I think they're called Atlas EQ in the USA), and mount your 10" tube on it. You can keep the dob base for visual observing, and chuck it on the EQ mount for photography.

The EQ platform can't be used for deep-space photography because it's just not accurate enough in its tracking. The EQ mount will be accurate enough for both planetary and deep-space imaging - should you decide to get a DSLR in the future.

The other consideration, is that your 10" newt by default probably won't allow a DSLR to come to focus (not enough in-focus) at prime focus. So you'd probably need to move the mirror up the tube.

So, having said all that - for lunar/planetary photography with a webcam, the EQ platform will do the job. I used one with my 10" dob for 18 months, with a ToUcam and 5x powermate, and got very good results on the moon and planets.

Kirkus
19-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Hey Iceman,

Thanks for the reply, and the info.

I'm pretty much tied into the webcam (new photography equipment would be a ways down the road), and I've actually not hated the chase and shoot method of a non-motorized Dob, so I think solar system objects are going to be my first step. Maybe something like a Round Table Platform from Brian Reed and several hundred dollars on a few better EPs and a good quality barlow.

I can't imagine going backwards in aperture, and I'd have to do that in order to buy a new telescope with good tracking. But wouldn't, say, and 8" schmidt cassegrain give me what I need for some good planetary imaging, plus the option later to try my hand at DSOs?

Fortunately I have a few months to think about it and maybe do some more research. I hate making decisions. :D

Kirkus
23-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Things change in a moments notice.

I have an opportunity to buy a Meade 6" Schmidt-Newtonian on a LXD75 GEM for $500 US. The mount is controlled by the Meade AutoStar, but I believe I can control it using imaging/tracking software that I bought a while back.

From what I've read, the price seems fair, and it sounds like a relatively inexpensive beginners set up for photography.

I'd love to hear some opinions.