PDA

View Full Version here: : PC to Telescope cable?

bloodhound31
17-12-2007, 05:30 PM
As I am about to buy a long exposure modded ToUCam Pro II for guiding and all the guff that goes with it, I noticed that I will need a 9pin serial to RJ12 cable to connect the PC to the Celestron drives.

http://celestron.com.au/Home/tabid/409/CategoryID/1279/List/0/catpageindex/9/Level/a/ProductID/2417/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName% 2cProductName

If you look at the picture here, the 9pin serial end is a male end. The 9pin serial on the back of my Laptop is also male. What gives here? Any suggestions?:shrug:

Baz.:D

snowyskiesau
17-12-2007, 05:37 PM
You need a female to female gender bender!
Allows you to join a 9pin male to a 9pin male.
Disk Smith or Jaycar.

citivolus
17-12-2007, 05:38 PM
You will need a db9 adapter (will have female on both sides).

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/X2675

You may need to pull off the nuts on the side for it to fit in your configuration.

bloodhound31
17-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks folks!

Is that the female is it? I thought that was the male. Is there a male to male? The picture you have there is the same end as on the end of the cable, and the same as what is poking out of the back of my laptop.

Baz.:D

mill
17-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Holes is female :P
Pins is male (figures :P ).

ozstockman
17-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I cannot see exactly what's there but to me it seems it has a female connector :)

I also think it should be a female one as computer serial ports usually have a male connector at the their end.

Zuts
17-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Is that how they make a female gender bender .........

Sorry, slow cloudy night :sadeyes:

Robster
20-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Baz,

I agree with ozstockman... the Serial Port on any computer is ALWAYS a male DB9 connector which needs a cable with a female DB9 connector. You are possibly confusing the Video Out socket which is a female connector (but with more pins than a serial port).

I made a cable to go from my laptop USB port (via a USB/RS232 converter) to the telescope's hand control RS232 port by getting a wireable Female DB9-to-RJ45 (8 pin CAT 5) adapter from Jaycar Electronics then making an RJ11 (4 pin telephone) to RJ45 (8 pin Cat 5) cable so the RJ45 plug goes into the adapter socket and the RJ11 plug goes into the comms port on the Telescope's hand control.

You can even get a ready-made coiled telephone handset cable which uses RJ11 connectors on both ends, cut off one of them and get an RJ45 connector crimped onto the cable in its place.

I align the scope, then use it with my Stellarium program to point and go to wherever I need to. The cursor crosshairs on the Stellarium screen even move with the telescope.

If you need any details email me at robert_smeallie@yahoo.com.au and I can send them to you.

Robster
Woy Woy NSW Aust