PDA

View Full Version here: : New Set-Up Question

leon
17-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Although my original set-up, (some of you may remember what that looks like) has been working OK, i felt that i had a few balance issues, so have decided to do away with some parts of it and go piggy back style.

I have a double clam shell arrangement on the Tak, and I am going to put the plate and tube rings, and guide scope firmly bolted on top.

The only concern that i have is the weight issue, and the stress on the actual pins that hold the clam shells together, the ones that hold on the actual fastening devices, they are not very thick.

Please have a look and see what you think, am i being over cautious here, or would this be ok.

Thanks, Leon

Dennis
17-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Leon

Having looked at the two photos, it seems that all the fastener hardware appears to be at least from ¼ inch or 6mm stock and providing that enough turns of the thread are engaged, these look to be strong enough in my opinion.

The pins are held on either side in the casting and I suspect they are deep enough in the casting not to be able to slide out. Also, the loading on these pins would be at right angles to their long axis and it looks like Tak have made them out of thick enough stock. I suspect it would take a huge load to even flex these?

Have you had any problems?

Nice tool board!

Cheers

Dennis

leon
17-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks Dennis, actually the hard ware is 5/16" I removed the 1/4" ones and re-drilled and threaded for these, and they are very firm indeed.

Also the clam shells are very solid and usually only one is needed to hold the Tak, but being me, I had to have it secure, and have two.

I have had no problems with the pins at all,and feel that it will be Ok, but probably just needed some reassurance from others.

leon