PDA

View Full Version here: : Who wants to get an inclinometer

TheCrazedLog
06-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm going to buy one of these:
http://www.geodetic.com.au/category497_1.htm
(credit goes to netwolf (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=113) for finding this) as I can't find a inclinometer in Sydney for love or money*.

However shipping is going to be something like 30 bucks. So. My glorious plan is this: If a few people want them, I'll order however many (lets say... first 5 or 10 to respond) and we can split the shipping. Pick up/payment from Sydney's Northern Beaches.

Any takers?

*Well... there was ONE... for 176 bucks. No points for guessing my answer.

TheCrazedLog
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I should point out/clarify: I mean the top one. But hey. If you want to pick up a different inclinometer from there, by all means.

Omaroo
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Available from Bunnings, and just bought one this arvo - $40 - better quality, no travelling, no courier fees, and can take it back if it's stuffed.

http://empirelevel.com/squares/protractors/

(Top one)

snowyskiesau
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
A bit cheaper here - it looks the same to me.
http://www.tooltrust.com.au/details.php?prodId=514&category=124

TheCrazedLog
06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Which Bunnings? I went to several hardware stores including Bunnings and they had nothing...

Omaroo
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
The Campbelltown one. Your level of success will inevitably depend on the following criteria:

1) The age/experience of the shop assistant you ask.

2) The age/experience of the shop assistant you ask.

3) The age/experience of the shop assistant you ask.

4) The age/experience of the shop assistant you ask.

5) The age/experience of the shop assistant you ask.

You need to ask for a "thingy that measures angles".

"Inclinometer is not in their vocabulary.

kljucd1
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Specifically, what do you use the inclinometer for?

Daniel...

Omaroo
06-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Daniel - they're used to set the angle of the (in my case) counterweight shaft on my EQ mounts to 90 deg. minus your latitude so that the RA axis is pointing to the SCP.

iceman
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
That's the one I bought, from Mitre 10 a couple of years ago. Cost me $10.

It was useful on the dob to see what altitude I was pointing at.

snowyskiesau
07-12-2007, 12:21 AM
If you prefer something a bit more modern, there's the digital equivalent:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_460_3740_20045

Nice big, easy to read numbers!

TheCrazedLog
07-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah I get around that slight problem by going and looking myself :P Easier that way. Then if I can't find it, I go an ask for some variation of a "thingy that measures angles"

mrsnipey
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I bought mine from Bunnings a couple of months ago and they ran around the store showing everyone because they'd never seen one before. Crazy. :lol:
Took me five minutes to get it back so I could pay for it.

That might be your problem TheCrazedLog. I found it in the tools section with the aluminium rulers and set-squares. Asking the staff wouldn't have helped me at all.

Satchmo
07-12-2007, 09:33 AM
The one popular in the USA for setting circle for your scope is the Wixey, which has 0.1 degree readout.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Angle-Gauge-for-setting-table-saw-wood-router_W0QQitemZ180188814465QQihZ00 8QQcategoryZ11810QQtcZphotoQQcmdZVi ewItem

montewilson
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
All true - Mark's suggestions sounds great especailly if you are patient. I got mine at Bunnings. About $40 and as noted, in the special tools section along with levels et al. It is good for at best about 1/2 deg maybe 1/4. I used it (along with my silva compass for the az) and got Sig-Oct in the field of the 10x Tak polar scope first time.

TheCrazedLog
07-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah thats where I looked. I looked at the Belrose bunnings, and then in a Mitre 10, then at a couple of places in the City... no one has any.

Anthony

Karls48
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I got Digital Inclinometer from UK for A$59, it is great gadget. Have look on this old tread http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=21312&highlight=Digital+inclinometer

jakob
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I bought mine from a tool dealer at a street market.
At Paddy's or Parklea market you will find them too.

montewilson
07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I got mine at Bunnings Belrose about two months ago. Maybe I got your one! Sorry....

Did you hassle them? They do sell them so it would be a question of stock.

You could try Hardware and General in Winbourne Rd Brookvale. They have a specialized tools section near the Pittwater Rd end of Winbourne. At least they will know what an inclinomoeter is!

TheCrazedLog
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Rotton sod! :P

Yeah I'll have a look down in brookie... Think thats the only place nearby I haven't looked yet.

montewilson
10-12-2007, 06:20 AM
I was in Bunnings Belrose on Friday and they have three in stock. In the special tools section. They are $40.38 each.

Have fun!

Dennis
10-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Guys

Here is my home made inclinometer. Made it using a piece of Alu Angle, 360° protractor, fishing line and a plumb bob weight.

Cheers

Dennis

Omaroo
10-12-2007, 08:11 AM
You know what Dennis? That's arguably the most accurate one discussed so far. Most of the commercial ones' pendulums tend to bind on the casing to a degree - so you're never quite certain that you are measuring right.

Well done - nice, cheap, accurate and perfectly simple.

Dennis
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi Chris

Thanks!

I tried to minimise the potential setting errors by using the right angle Alum bar so it contacts along two “sides” of the CW shaft.

I used a scribing gauge to mark a parallel line on one side of the Alum angle and aligned the scribed protractor baseline with the “scratch” line and then glued the protractor to the Alum angle using a contact adhesive. The adhesive “melted” the protractor baseline ink hence it looks a bit undulating on the close up.
I then drilled and tapped a couple of holes and inserted nylon bolts to hold the protractor firmly in place. I clipped the ends off the protruding nylon bolts so they were flush with the Alu angle inner surface.
Finally, to make it a hands free operation, I fitted a couple of Velcro straps so I could firmly clamp the assembly to the Dec shaft, leaving hands free to set the Altitude adjustment.

I suspect that the accumulation of measuring and assembly errors would make this device accurate to between 1° and 2°, although you can easily read to ½° on the protractor scale.

The main disadvantage with the overall design is the fragility of the assembly, so I make sure I pack it well when travelling to astro camps.

Cheers

Dennis

PS – Monte, thanks for the details on the magnification of the Tak PAS, at x10; I’ve been wondering what it was!

TheCrazedLog
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
They have one less now :)

Thanks for that

Anthony

Glenhuon
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks Dennis, you just saved me $40, was going to buy one of the Bunnings ones but got all the bits for making your design in the shed :)
Got some small but strong ex hard drive magnets for attaching to the counterweight bar. Makes it clip on and off easily.

Bill

Dennis
11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Bill

That’s great news!

A man’s shed and its contents is indeed a treasure trove; much misunderstood, undervalued and sadly neglected in the modern era, yet yields so much of value, at such a low cost. And the fun of simply making simple things!

Cheers

Dennis

Glenhuon
11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Just finished it, singing "All Australian Boys Need A Shed" as I worked. :)

Bill

Dennis
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
:lol::lol:LOL - I was listening to the John Williamson Platinum Collection just the other day, with this very song blasting out!

Cheers

Dennis

koputai
11-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been holding off getting a digital inclinometer until I saw the mechanical ones, so popped up to my local (Belrose Bunnnings) yesterday. They still had two left, but for $41 it's a piece of crap. The dangley bit on both of them would often stick, and if the unit was off vertical by even a tiny amount, they would bind excessively.
So, today I did what I should have done months ago and bought a Wixey digital off Ebay for $63 shipped. Much better value.

Cheers,
Jason.