PDA

View Full Version here: : Finderscopes - GSO beats Williams Optics - my surprise!

g__day
30-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Apologies - I original said Vixen - not Williams Optics - in a coffee eprived moment...

Just a quick note to say I am really impressed with Andrews GSO 50mm * 7 finder scope. I did a side by side comparison with it versus a WO illuminated finder scope – costing a lot more I might add. Now I have a delightfully capable WO 80mm Megrez - with razor sharp optics. So when I put the WO versus the GSO finderscopes up against each other I was in for a surprise!

Conclusion – the optics on the Andrew’s scope seem much more clearer and sharper than the WO. Initially I was annoyed with the Andrews scope because its cross hairs are set at a random angle to the erecting eyepiece, and the WOcomes with a much, much better 6 point attached holder bracket. But for quality of OTA – well its hands down to Andrews – the Chinese beat the Japanese to my complete surprise!

MikeyB
30-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Japanese? I thought that William Optics gear all came out of Taiwan?

Inmykombi
30-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have a GSO diagonal to compare to other brands ?
The pricing of the GSO diagonals is more competitive than others on the market, so I was goping to try a 2 inch one.
Does anyone have any comments at all.?

Geoff

MikeyB
30-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Bintel's website states that their Star Diagonal 2" SCT Quartz is, "Manufactured by our good friends at GSO". I have one and can confirm that it is an impressive piece of workmanship for the $149 price. Whether the high specs and quality are the same as those offered by GSO under their own name or not, I couldn't say.

g__day
02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Not sure how we went from finder scopes to diagonals?

Price check - GSO from Andrews 8 * 50mm erecting prisim (including bracket) $99
Discounted Williams Optics 7 * 50mm from York Optical $500 (including bracket)

Bit of a difference huh?

Inmykombi
02-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks. for the comments about diagonals. I also would like to get a right angled finder GSO sounds the go....
It sounds like GSO is the choice with diagonals as well as finders....:thumbsup:.

BTW it was I who changed from finders to Diagonals.....Sorry.
I was just asking about the GSO quality for those as well.

:whistle:

Geoff

Miaplacidus
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Anyone want to throw in a comment about Stellarvue's finders? I've heard they are the bees knees.