PDA

View Full Version here: : 100 mm Binoculars

dennisjames1
26-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Hello

I am interested in a pair of these, and your expert tips would be welcomed.
I see there are a few with AOE 25x100 great price and i have bought items there before great place.

But i am afraid i am one of those blokes that will expect them to perform flawlessly., and if they don't be unhappy.

So whats out there , i have looked at my budget and 800 dollars is about it,

or should i look at a rich field refractor.

Comet hunting, nebulaes etc will be the purpose.

My Astro Gear Meade 8 inch SCT, Meade 12 inch Lightbridge and binos 7x50 Vixen Ultimas and Meade 9x63 Astros.

Cheers all

Dennis

rmcpb
26-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Can't really comment on the actual binocs other than I wiould love to have a set BUT don't forget your budget will have to include a good mount for them as they are definitely not of the handheld variety.

Cheers

h0ughy
26-11-2007, 09:15 AM
You will be disappointed. The binos are great but the colour fringing on very bright objects is a worry, but I knew that before I bought mine. I bought mine from Andrews knowing that they are essentially the same as the ones from bintel Optex brand and indeed a few other brands. You will need a bino mount too from Bintel or make one yourself. so if you get your binos for 419 and the mount from bintel for 479 you will need an extra $100 than your projected budget. I think the combination is brilliant. I really do need to make a dew shield for the binos too.

If you are that pedantic then get theee a ED80, and that can double as a guidescope

chris lewis
26-11-2007, 11:06 AM
As with most things optical there are pros and cons - I have had the Kunming 25x100 IF versions on a very HD mount - that luckily I got cheaply on my local 'E bay' type site.
I do love mine - you get a bright 3D effect that is relaxing to use - using 2x eyes I can view for hours without eye strain.
The 'immeadiacy' when viewing bright star clustes like M6, M7 and the area around Sagittarius / Scorpius etc. is amazing and accounts for some of my best viewing in 35 years of observing.
CA - as houghy noted is there on bright objects [ they are 2x short tube achros after all ] - but personally I find it does not detract from the viewing.
Neck strain of course and the heavy duty tripod which is required for the beast are issues. The other negative is having a fixed power 'only'.
The positives for me far out weight the negatives - would I sell them - never - do I use it more then my GSO F/4 8in. on DSOs - yes.
The only thing better would be the 45 degree variety with changeable eyepieces - observing nivana but unhappy bank manager [and wife].

dannat
26-11-2007, 11:11 AM
get a short tube refractor and binoviewer - can change the power and have the comfort of two eye viewing. obviously will cost a bit more though.

chris lewis
26-11-2007, 02:45 PM
A binoviewer is one solution - however there are concerns with 'light summation' and how the brain recieves and perceives the image - a bino viewer 'splits' the available light so the image will not be as bright or as contrasty as when viewing through a 100mm binocular. When using a 100mm binocular the effective gain from light is 1.41x so a binocular is equivalent to an aperture of 119mm - using a binoviewer on a 100 mm scope it is equal to 85mm aperture. Restricted FOV is also a concern. It gets very complex and if you google 'light summation in binoculars / binoviewers' it will take you to that other forum where you may go when the nights are cloudy and it is explained in detail.