PDA

View Full Version here: : intes MN74

stlfiremedic35
21-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about the MN74? The dealer said they have improved the focuser and rings. also did something different with the secondary holder. 1/7 wave is not really that good is it? Well the only other scope in the same class I have seen is the Epsilon 180. Very nice but over twice the cost.

Omaroo
21-11-2007, 01:51 PM
G'Day Ken

I used an MN74 the other evening Ken for some prime focus photography. Being an f/4, the owner reports that collimation is supposedly pretty tough to keep in line, bit other than that it was a pleasant experience. :)

I'd like an Epsilon too, but as you say, the expense if a bit of an obstacle.

Cheers
Chris

stlfiremedic35
22-11-2007, 04:59 PM
When you look for Astrographs on the net you dont get much back, seems like refractors have taken over now. I remember when it was the other way around. problem with refractors is they get to long and heavy for the apature you need for high definition wide field. agree? disagree?

gbeal
22-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I have used all, and while the refractor is really nice, what annoys me is the cost.
As an example I recently sold a new 4" refractor, that is 100mm f8. Make a note of those numbers folks.
I replaced it with a Newtonian 8" f4, so the same image scale, but a significant speed advantage. Biggest gain was to the bulge of my wallet.
Better? Dunno, but I am happy. As our American friends will quote though, YMMV.
Gary