PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade's Mysky

Barrykgerdes
20-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi

I got me one of those new fangled star finding gadgets the Meade released about a week ago. Boy they sure work if you can get a GPS fix.

I got mine last week but could not get a GPS fix for a couple of days so I tried the manual entry. I followed the directions but when I tried to identify the stars it was nowhere near, like 160 degrees out so I put it away till the next day.

I eventually got a GPS fix on the third day and noticed that the time on the screen was UTC.

The next time I tried the manual set up I set it to UTC instead of local and it worked perfectly. I read and re-read the manual but I could not see any directions to use UTC so I don't know whether I have faulty software or what. In any case it is a nice toy.

Barry

OneOfOne
21-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I found exactly the same "problems". I will try to get a GPS fix again at the weekend, but selecting off a list is OK. It would be great if they had an option to enter lat and long from the screen though.

Yes, it appears the time needs to be entered in UT...I had the same problem trying to locate the Moon...

mySky:"but it hasn't risen yet?"
me:"well what the hell am I looking at?"

I must admit everyone I have shown it to is impressed with the technology.

You might want to point your browser to here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/meade_mysky/

and join me!

BTW I have been told from that group and other uses not to use the software upgrade that came on the DVD "under any circumstances" as a number of people have trashed their SD card.

The manual is pretty lean, I think they wanted to make it appear that the system is soooo easy to use (which it is), but putting the most important information (like entering time) into it would be useful. It took me a while to realise you can search out satellite rises! Hopefully I can have another play over the weekend and maybe put the DVD in and see what it has.

Barrykgerdes
21-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I did do the software upgrade but it was a little hairy. It failed the first time because I did not do it correctly. The second time was OK but you need to wait till it has completed before you stop. This time is not obvious unless you wait for some time after it appears to have stopped before the finished screen comes up.

The main reason I tried the upgrade was because of the time piroblem. I thought upgraded software may have fixed it.

Barry

Barrykgerdes
23-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi

Notes on Mysky

dennisjames1
28-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I had a play with one looked nice and one of my mates got one straight away, also had the gps dramas,

I went with the Celestron SkySCOUT, it just worked fine out of the box and was very easy to firmware update.

I am Meade fan but they often release stuff with teething issues, or well makes life interesting i guess.

Hey a side issue but does anyone one know anything about

SQF D127F1200 Refractor from vancooptical seen them on ebay. i know there made in china, might be like the ones A.O.E used to sell a while ago, i thought most stuff out of there was made by Synta

Cheers

Dennis