PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone ever had any success with a DSI

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Just spent another 2 or 3 fruitless hours with my DSI, anyone ever got these things to work ?

Lee
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm getting there...... what problems are you having? Are you using Meade's software??? Which scope/mount??

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Ditto to Lee. What problems are you having? Connection, settings, getting an image to appear on the screen?

What was the Meade catch cry for the DSI.......:confuse3:...oh that's right....something like "Take pictures like these the first night out!" and shows some fabulously deep image. Hrmph. Yeah right. Persevere you will get there, but it will take a few nights. Ezy Styles is living proof of the fantastic images you can take with a DSI, but he's a legend of the Photoshop workroom ;)

Or you can have a bit of a read of Suk Lee from Cloudy Nights DSI "First night out" pdf

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/ds1.pdf

Lee
11-11-2007, 12:56 AM
If they showed the average first nights haul, no-one would buy one! They'd be publishing ads with black boxes, with a smudge if you were lucky!

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 01:02 AM
It took me two days in the daylight to start to get images that didn't look like they'd been through a cheese grater. I ended up getting some shots of NGC253 and a couple of other objects that were OK, but then I discovered the 300D :D

Lee
11-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Tuc47 would be a good target to try for first up - at least you know when you are on it.... one of my first was the horsehead! Pretty ordinary, but could see him.... will try again soon, armed with guiding and Ha filter.....

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 01:11 AM
One of the things I found that really annoyed me with the DSI was how it automatically adjusted the tonal range to suit itself. I invariably ended up with these really grainy, horrible looking screen images that frustrated the hell out of me. The envisage software would squash the range down so much that there was only a very small range between black and white. Once I learnt to adjust the sliders myself and the screen image looked more respectable and I could focus (smart focus ...Ha! ) and compose my shots better I started to make headway.

Zuts
11-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Yes, I got mine for 100 bucks from Bintel and it makes a great guide camera :)

Paul

Lee
11-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Honestly - 99% of the dramas I had were all software issues.... I switched from Meades rubbish to Nebulosity, haven't looked back - now I can get on with working out the general trials of imaging, without battling the software every night. Like tonight I learned to keep a check on objective lens dew (the hard way of course! :doh:).... I need a dew heater!

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Yep, I bought nebulosity and its a vast improvement on the Meade software, much more user friendly but.....
All I seem to get is multicoloured noise even with the cover on the objective, don't look too dark to me. I was initially using the F5 80mm refractor, but swapped to my 150 newt and got a noisy image of distorted stars with the Meade software but still the same problem with Nebulosity, black frame and reddish streaks on the top 25% of it with no stars. Starting to wonder if the camera is faulty.
Target was the Orion Nebula, Tuc 47 is behind a tree at the moment and if I move the scope, the darn light in the next street over shines like a spotlight.
Just about ready to bin the darn thing.

Lee
11-11-2007, 08:46 AM
How long were the dark frames you were taking - the noise you see in the darks is the reason you take them - to subtract this from your final images.
Not sure what the reddish streaks are - is there light leaking into the camera when shooting??
What was distorted about the stars??
Can you post a few of these pics??

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't know Nebulosity but in the Envisage software try adjusting the histogram sliders so the top one (black point) is closer to the left and the bottom slider (white point) is closer to the right. Try it in small increments until it starts to look ok. What may be happening is as I mentioned above the software may be trying to automatically adjust the image to make the object visible (in its own mind) but you may not have enough signal for it to work properly and all you end up with is fuzz. Not being their I can only guess that this is the problem. Give it a go and see how you go.

Also have you tried using it during the daylight on a distant tree or something?

xelasnave
11-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I am fitting peltie devices to mine as I feel being real cool may help..if I ever get to use them I will post my views on this approach.

I feel very lucky they seem to at least work straight from the box with the Meade software... whereas the lpi was a sourse of many problems.
alex

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 09:56 AM
After a good nights sleep the frustration has abated somewhat :)
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I'll give it another go in daylight with both software progs and post a few images of the results. If I can get it to work reasonable well in daylight, will give it another go in the dark tonight. Another thing that needs work is the polar alignment, tracking was way out, wouldn't help with the star shape problem.

Cheers
Bill

Karls48
11-11-2007, 10:03 AM
This tip is actually from EazyStyles and it worked for me. In Envisage use “Preview” button and adjust sliders until you get acceptable picture. Then do your exposures.

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I have made a speed controlled cooling fan from a CPU one, haven't tried it yet in case it induces noise or vibration. Need to sort out the other probs first. :)

Hagar
11-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I have had a DSI colour for some time and have finally decided it will make a half descent guide camera. As for an imaging device I doubt it would even be good for septic tank inspection camera.
To be honest Meade have a sin to answer for selling such a piece of junk.

Cheers
Doug

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
When I was working in wastewater treatment I built a little camera into a pond light case exactly for that job, and it did perform better :lol:

Cheers
Bill

Lee
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
:lol: Tell us what you really think!... :D

Meade sold them up as mini-Hubbles, and they aren't - but there are a lot of people who do some pretty good stuff with them - but it takes a lot of work. I don't think most people with an SBIG get fantastic results on night one either....

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Wash your mouth :eyepop:

:lol:

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Meade sold them up as mini-Hubbles, and they aren't - but there are a lot of people who do some pretty good stuff with them - but it takes a lot of work. I don't think most people with an SBIG get fantastic results on night one either....

Thats something they ain't for sure. But, having said that, thanks to the advice from you guys on here, I have at last managed to get a decent terrestrial image from the DSI.
Today the backyard, tomorrow the cosmos ! :lol:

Cheers
Bill

Lee
11-11-2007, 05:17 PM
One thing that will help - before you start to image something - focus on a bright star nearby to your target, faint DSO's are damn hard to focus on. I use a Hartmann mask with Nebulosity's fine focus feature.... works well....

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Yep, the hartman mask is definitely on the "to do" list. Scope is all set up, waiting for the sun to go down, and cooking tea in the meantime.

Bill
Chief cook and Bottle washer

peter_4059
11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Bill,

In answer to your original post I am happy with mine. What are the better (new) alternatives for under $1k?

Peter

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
You have a very valid point there Peter. I'm used to a webcam and thought the DSI was similar, which it isn't. Paul and Lee set me on the right path and progress is being made, and its fun again :)

Cheers
Bill

Lee
11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Good luck!

[1ponders]
11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Peter I'm wrapped in my ATiK 16IC. It's a fantatic little camera. 16bit and cooled. :thumbsup:

kosh
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
You're kidding! How did you manage that? :eyepop:

Shawn
11-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Great guide cameras, or digital frming reticles, thats what I use mine for. and I guess good entry level digital imagers , I mean you get what you pay for, I bought four of em for 90 buck each, and IMHO thats about what they are worth, maybe a bit more...:P.

Yeah I swooped on the runout sale , for myself and a good freind...

S

kosh
11-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow at least you can learn a bit about imaging before forking out larger amounts. Oh well, maybe when the DSI II becomes superceeded...

Glenhuon
11-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Kosh, I am learning. If only the curve wasn't so steep :lol:

Ric
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Bill, the DSI can be a tempermental little beggar at first but as you get the hang of them they are a quite a decent little camera.

I usually image in either Envisage or MaximDL and always focus with a Hartmann mask usually on a mag 3 to 4 star.

I've attached one of my efforts of Omega Centauri. I am still learning as well and have a long way to go before I can match the efforts of some of our seasoned members who really do put out some brilliant images.

Cheers

Lee
12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice omega centauri Ric.....
I eventually found the helix last night, after the G-11 missed it the other week..... This is 15x1min luminance frames. I should be guiding hopefully soon (probably in time for full moon!) and can push out to longer subs..... need to bump up its signal-to-noise ratio.....
You can get some recognizable images Glen.....stick with it!

Ric
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Love that meteor Lee, wish one would pass through some of my shots.

They are a lovely effect.

Glenhuon
13-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Nice pics guys :thumbsup:. Yep, a bit of patience and perseverance is paying off, at least I can get reasonable terrestrial shots now. Have to work on the polar alignment, tracking is way off. Can you use the crosshair reticle in Nebulosity for drift alignment ? With the trees and street lights around here, no chance of seeing the SCP. Mrs is getting new batteries for her wheelchair this week so I'm having the old ones for taking out in the field. 2 x 12v 33 Ah, all the power I could want :)

Lee
13-11-2007, 10:29 AM
You could use the crosshair reticle in Frame/Focus mode in Nebulosity - you just need to get it very clear in your head which way is which before you start - ie line up camera so RA/DEC drift follows the crosshairs, work out which way is west by watching which way a star drifts with the RA motor off etc etc

I've already sussed all this with my eyepiece, so haven't used Nebulosity for drifting but would be worth a try.....

Glenhuon
14-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Gave the drift thingy a try today with the only star available (good old Sol), was just getting the hang of it when a tree got in the way and the clouds rolled in. Made a rough and ready reticle with a bit of clear plastic and plugged it temporarily into the 25mm eyepiece, have to get a real one soon, illuminated of course. If things clear a bit tonight I'll give it whirl with Nebulosity.

Cheers
Bill

DeanoNZL
14-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi All.
I have found that rather than drifting with the crosshairs, just expose the ccd for 30-60 sec.
The longer the exposure, the more accurate you can become.
Any drift will show up as trails.
Adjust just as you would to remove the drift normally.
Beauty is you do not have to re-center the faint star, there should be lots too choose from.
Hope this helps

Glenhuon
15-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Well after having spent another 2 hours outside just trying to get the DSI to actually show me a star I could set up on in Nebulosity, I have decided to get rid of it and save up for a REAL camera. If anyone wants the hassles of this useless object, its on the for sale section.

Bill

Lee
15-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Have you tried centering up a darn bright star in an EP, like Canopus or Achernar, then putting the DSI in, set Nebulosity to 1 or 2 sec exposures and hit Frame and Focus, then rack the focuser from one extreme to the other - you should get a star then - then you have something to work with..... Mine comes to focus in the ED80 with a 35 mm extension piece, I'm sure it also will focus through diagonal.....

Glenhuon
15-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Lee, I've tried every setting known to man and it just won't show me anything darker than the moon in Nebulosity. It does show stars in Envision, at least I think they are stars, but are very strange shapes. I've fiddled with white and dark settings, changed exposures etc. Tracking on the mount isn't perfect, but is pretty good over 2 -3 minutes.Its very frustrating, as I used to get quite good images with my old Praktika film camera and no tracking.
Think I'll give the imaging bit a rest and go back to what got me interested in Astronomy in the first place, just looking :)

Lee
15-11-2007, 10:57 PM
:shrug:
Maybe she's a dud???

Glenhuon
15-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Starting to think that too.

Glenhuon
16-11-2007, 07:56 AM
The wisdom of my good lady has prevailed and the DSI goes on the shelf for a while till I get organised for a dark sky night, and then I'll give it another go. Can't let a machine beat me :)

mill
16-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Dont give up.
I made this pic with the DSI colour and it looks actually pritty good.

mill
16-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Ps i did it in nebulosity and had the settings wrong so it came out black and white :P

GrampianStars
26-11-2007, 09:55 AM
G'day Y'all
I need an extension piece at least 75mm for the ZS80
Any suggestions?
fully racked out focus is still 1" behind the scope :shrug:
with a 2" diagonal in place I'm 1/2" short of focus fully racked in :help:

Karls48
26-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Robert
You can get Guan Sheng Camera Adaptor fixed tube type for $29 from Andrews. It got male T tread on one end and female T tread on other. It is 68mm long including the tread.

Lee
26-11-2007, 07:45 PM
If focus is only 25mm behind the scope why do you need 75mm???

GrampianStars
28-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Guys all sorted a great extension tube from Bintel :thumbsup: Melbourne
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Images/Stock/7082.jpg

Glenhuon
05-12-2007, 08:35 AM
At last, something that looks like an image from the DSI :)
Orion Nebula through the 150 F5 newtonian. 30 x 3sec frames stacked and minimal processing in Nebulosity.
No darks or flats, just the raw images.
3 secs was the longest I could take and not get too much trailing, have to work on the alignment.
I wasn't able to get much of the red colour in the image, I take it this requires longer exposures ?

Lee
05-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Not bad! Good focus - you have really only got the core though - I think it is mostly whitish there.... the red will come! The DSI is very red sensitive, so you should get it.....
(You may want to restack though - I'm sure I can see the trapezium 3 times in your image???)

Glenhuon
05-12-2007, 02:18 PM
You're right Lee.
I got the first bit wrong, sleep first, process later :lol:

Bill

Glenhuon
08-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I changed to the 150 newt as I was getting elongated stars through the 80mm refractor. Think I've found the problem, loose mirror on the (El Cheapo) diagonal being shaken by the drive motor. Didn't think there would be enough vibration to cause that, but there you go. A dab of liquid nails between the mirror and the back cover should fix it. :) Adding a good one to the christmas list.
Becoming a bit more patient with the DSI, its not so bad really :D