PDA

View Full Version here: : Has anyone got a bintel Large binocular mount?

h0ughy
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I am looking to get one of these (as I am useless and can't make one) and would like to hear some feedback if possible about one of these?

Dennis
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi H0ughy

At the risk of incurring the wrath of your finance adviser or sending hard earned dollars overseas, have you looked at the P-mounts offered by Universal Astronomics (http://universalastronomics.com/)? Apparently, on the CN Binocular Forum, they are considered to be the Rolls Royce of mounts. Not cheap, but what a good time to buy!

Cheers

Dennis

Lee
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Just buy before the rain stops..... :)

[1ponders]
09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
:welcome: to the site Lee. Hope you enjoy your stay......Oh its you Plasmodium. Didn't recognise the grammer for a second there :lol: :poke:

Lee
09-11-2007, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes: Yep, it's me.... never liked that login! :D

h0ughy
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/mirror.htm might be an alternative

h0ughy
09-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Objective size
100mm

Magnification
25x

Prisms
BAK4

Optic coating
Fully Broadband Multi-coated

Field of view
2.5°

Exit pupil diameter
4.0mm

Exit pupil distance
18mm

Minimum focus distance
30m

Weight
10.0 lbs.

h0ughy
09-11-2007, 09:59 PM
still raining so it isnt me:whistle:

Dennis
10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
A P-mount might be more versatile for day time viewing of local events, such as the Pasha Bulker?

Cheers

Dennis

Satchmo
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Images are reversed left to right in these mirror mounts though, so I guess its up to individual taste.

I'm looking at the 25 X 100mm binocular + Bintel mount too !

[1ponders]
10-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Don't post that link h0ughy! I've been avoiding that site.

RB
10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't have any experience with this mount.......but you're more than welcome to store it here for
"safe keeping"........and *cough*personal survival *cough*, Houghy.

:lol:

h0ughy
10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
which one the BINTEL (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Images/Stock/6624X.jpg) one (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6624) or this one I stumbled across (http://www.bigbinoculars.com/pmounts.htm)

h0ughy
10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
um yes I know exactly what you are thinking, no she has no idea, and no she wont know aboutr this until i have had it a while:whistle: failing that plan I will use the plan I had it up the back anyway for a long time and only just got it out;)

h0ughy
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
I have the binos - the same as their 25x100 optex ones the mount. Bintel supplied me with some exclusive images (because I asked and Don was kind enought to take them and send to me):whistle: to help me make my mind up. they are of some of the components, rather than the overall mount. It fits directly onto a az3 mount? Actually so far the bintel service has been great sales wise. I think for the cost of the overseas item verses the local product, i might go with the bintel one unless I can find something cheaper, better and/or local. I don't think anyone on the forum makes this type of thing?

[1ponders]
10-11-2007, 04:45 PM
The binocular site. I spotted the mirrors a while ago and have been trying to forget about them as I have other priorities.

dugnsuz
11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
The mirror mount may be a strange experience for the viewer initially, but the parallelogram mount is always going to strain the neck at the zenith.
Mirror mount from your link looks very easy on the neck and more likely to see extended use!!!!

Bintel unit looks sturdy though Houghy - Don sent me some pics a while back too when I was enquiring about it. I just wanted the parallelogram part as I already had an EQ3 tripod.

Good luck with your choice.
Doug

dugnsuz
11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
The photo gallery at this link is a hardware wet dream:lol:

snowyskiesau
11-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Max weight quoted for the Bintel mount is 4 Kgs. Might need some extra counter weights.

snowyskiesau
19-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I set off to get lunch from the Sydney Fish markets and, as it's a nice day, ended up at
Bintel instead. I'm now the proud owner of a large binocular mount. :D

FIsh and chips would certainly have been cheaper and a lot lighter to carry back to work (a bit over 1Km).

Clouds willing, I'll try it out tonight with the Andrews 20x80s.

h0ughy
19-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Fantastic Geoff, mine arrived on Firday, along with some other losmandy stuff i ordered from the crew at Bintel. Michael did a damn fine job in packing the mount - a very large box. That brings my tripod tally at home now to 6, LOL wonder if the wife will notice???

snowyskiesau
19-11-2007, 02:42 PM
There was a very nice Losmandy mount set up at Bintel, right in front of the counter
where you can't avoid seeing it, and lusting after it

If I wasn't out of work at the end of the week, the walk back to work would have been
a lot harder with a G11 tucked under the arm :whistle:

snowyskiesau
21-11-2007, 07:24 PM
h0ughy,

Does your large binocular mount have 1 or 2 counter weights?

I gave it a quick test on Monday when I picked it up but it wasn't until using it in earnest last night that it was obvious
that it wasn't going to balance even with the counter weight at the end of it's range.

The picture on the Bintel website does show 2 weights so I thought I'd ask someone who has one.

h0ughy
21-11-2007, 08:43 PM
havent unwrapped that part yet will do tonight

snowyskiesau
21-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Haven't unwrapped it yet! How can you have a new toy for nearly a week and not play with it ;)

No problem, I'll give Bintel a call tomorrow and check.

h0ughy
22-11-2007, 07:36 AM
ok there are two weights

h0ughy
22-11-2007, 10:34 AM
OK here is a quick appraisal of the system. Its good but no where near good enough to use straight out of the box for the 100mm binos it needs the 5kg weight from the EQ6 to offset the balance. The locking knob for the binos is a tad too long to allow it to freely swing through the fork - that could be a good thing or bad. There is not quite enough clearance to get the binos adjusted for the width of my eyes, it needs a little more on the thread and a washer to allow it to be adjusted. that said, once the weight is right and the binos tinkered with it will be great. they seem very steady system despite the light mount base and for something i couldnt build in a month of sundays its not bad.

Satchmo
22-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Houghy

I am interested in your new combination. You should be able to add a 5kg barbell weight above the supplied ones , available from any sports store.

The problem with the over long locking knob hitting the edge of the bottom of the fork looks like a problem with the unit and not to do with the binoculars. Looks like it will prevent you looking up into the sky...

Looks promising anyhow, if this can be fixed.

Mark

erick
22-11-2007, 10:52 AM
This seems to be a very common problem. The centre post is not long enough in many of these binoculars for a fork mount arrangement. It does depend how far along the supporting bar that the post is located. When the binoculars are tipped to a high elevation, the post can be moved closer to the eyepieces which provides the space to allow for more adjustment of the IPD without the barrels hitting the post or the mount. But at lower elevations when the post needs to be moved towards the objective lenses (or vice versa of course), the problem is pronounced. I have seen a few places selling a suitable one inch spacer, but I never justifed the postage! I inserted a small block of wood as a spacer into mine for my home made mount - and used a much longer mounting screw. Of course, this does not solve the problem of the barrels hitting the post - that is unavoidable and set by the barrel spacing and the post diameter. All one can do is move the binoculars forward on the mounting post until one can get the IPD right, even if it means the weight distribution isn't right. I'd be looking at the bolts on the fork mount to see if they could be replaced with something where the tightness/friction could be adjusted by hand, to account for elevation and the weight distribution of the binoculars (front/rear) on the post.

Previously I mentioned this spacing problem to AOE who were going to see if they could source a spacer as an accessory. Nothing seen advertised on their site yet.

h0ughy
22-11-2007, 10:57 AM
thats right I cant get them close enough:whistle:, have to get some washers I havent any at home

Satchmo
22-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Will be interested in how long the over- long locking knob ( hitting the fork ) takes to solve by the manufacturer.

In the meantime you could use a standard bolt and spanner, which will be a bit inconvenient but allow you unrestricted sky view :-)

Mark

snowyskiesau
22-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Walked up to Bintel at lunchtime and picked up the missing weight.
It's about 1Kg so I should be able to balance the 20x80s.

Of course , I won't have anything to look at unless this rain clears up

h0ughy
22-11-2007, 01:33 PM
i sent bintel an email with the pictures

Satchmo
22-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm sure Mike and Don from Bintel will have your problem sorted in no time ;)

h0ughy
22-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I think so too:thumbsup:

h0ughy
23-11-2007, 12:27 PM
ok UPDATE ON THE SITUATION

after some discussion with Mike and Don (constructive discussion that is) they are fixing up the problems with the current mount and will have these changes in place for future purchasers. So Mark, when you get yours it should be OK!!

snowyskiesau
23-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't have any problem with the locking knob being too long on the mount I bought this week.
The cradle that the binos sit it, will swing freely without the knob touching any part of the mount.

h0ughy
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
OK an update - Bintel sent me the new knob and adapter for the bino's and a weight from a eq3. I am a happy little camper