PDA

View Full Version here: : need an opinion...

astrolowgy
08-11-2007, 10:27 PM
So I'm looking for an opinion. I saw them on Astronomy Magazine and thought I would ask around before making my purchase. Has anyone heard of Wicked Lasers? They have an ad up on the fifth page showing some neat looking laser pens for astronomy. Anyway, I checked out their site www.WickedLasers.com (http://www.wickedlasers.com/) and the site looks pro. Has anyone dealt with them?

they're offering a 10% discount at the moment if you put "astromag" in some code box. Still pretty pricey though...buy..or not to buy...:shrug:

Kal
09-11-2007, 12:03 AM
They look pricey and overpowered. If you are going to use it for astronomy (as opposed to lighting cigarettes or other 'stunts') then a 5Mw laser from a local astronomy shop will suffice.

Ric
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I dont think those high powered lasers would even be allowed into Australia. Customs might have something to say about that.

Cheers

RB
09-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree with Ric, if you live in Australia I'd find out from the relevant state authority if your chosen power rating is allowed.

There's been changes to the law regarding laser usage so best to find out before buying.

As for Wicked Lasers, I haven't heard any negative feedback on them yet, they look very pro.

astrolowgy
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I gave them a ring last night to ask a couple of questions and the lady that picked up was very helpful. They said they could ship to Australia no problem. I didn't ask about any legal issues though. I guess I better do some homework about this now considering I just made a purchase with them. Not bad, a hundred USD shipped. I'll update you guys when I receive it. I already got the tracking number for it and its coming in on saturday! :rofl:

kosh
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Please do. I would like know.

citivolus
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
They claim they will ship another if the first one gets snagged by customs. The thing is, customs hold you responsible for items being shipped to your address, so in reality it is you that has something to lose, not the exporter.

I'd be curious to see who they declare as the exporter, and what they list it as on the customs form.