PDA

View Full Version here: : Adelaide and Melbourne Shops

Chrissyo
19-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I don’t think I have mentioned it yet, but this Tuesday my family and I are going on a holiday to Adelaide and Melbourne for 8 days. :2thumbs:

Some may remember me asking about 2” 2x Barlow’s a few months ago, but I still haven’t managed to track one down. I know there are a lot of great telescope shops down south, so I figure that while I’m there I’ll have a good look around!

Basically I just wanted to know if there are any stores in the cities of Adelaide and Melbourne (most preferable somewhere in the main streets) that would be worth ducking into. I had a quick google search but wasn’t given any good leads.

Thanks in advance! :D

- Chrissyo

[1ponders]
19-06-2005, 10:49 PM
You might try Adelaide Optical if your down that way. Take some tissues though, you'll come out droooooling. If their website is anything to go by they will have some REALLY nice gear there.

ballaratdragons
19-06-2005, 11:09 PM
The Melbourne shops are very, very expensive! That's why we Victorians order from Sydney.

Chrissyo
19-06-2005, 11:24 PM
About ordering from Sydney: After my trip into Brisbane to see what I could find I was thinking about simply ordering one from Bintel. Earlier tonight I was thinking about this and thought "If I did order it that weekend, I would have had it by now :( ".

Oh well. :P

So Melboure is probably out? Thats probably for the better as we're going on a car trip to the Barossa Valley (or is that Adelaide, I don't know :ashamed: ) so we won't get so much time in the city.

I'll have a look at the Adelaide Optical website. :D Thanks Paul!

iceman
20-06-2005, 06:34 AM
There's telescopes-astronomy in adelaide, quite good prices.

But really, for a 2" 2x barlow, at a good price, just order the GSO from Andrews. It'll be at your door the next day.

Exfso
20-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Adelaide Optical is a total ripoff. Try Optic SA 83523166, Andrew Shelley is a great guy to deal with.

slice of heaven
20-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Wheres Optic SA Exfso?
Adelaide Optical is nice to browse through, just dont pull your wallet out.

Exfso
20-06-2005, 12:06 PM
They are situated at 100A Henley Beach Road, Mile End, about 5mins west of the city.

Jonathan
20-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I hope the weather improves before your trip Chrissyo. It's a bit wet, windy and cold in Adelaide at the moment. Adelaide Optical have some nice Meade gear on display and they're in the middle of the city so there's plenty of other things to see and do nearby. I bought my scope and some EP's from there and it cost less than 10% more than Bintel, so that wasn't too bad but overall the prices are pretty high there compared to the Sydney shops. I think they're more interested in selling digital cameras.

Optic SA have some good gear so it might be worth having a look at. The web site is http://www.shell-lap.com.au/ and as Exfso said, Andrew Shelley is good to deal with. Also there is telescopes-astronomy.

BTW the Barossa Valley is about 60km north of Adelaide, where all the wineries are.

fringe_dweller
20-06-2005, 06:19 PM
hehe i wasnt going to say it - but you guys are braver than me ! I have seen mark ups of anything from 40% to 100% ie they had 5mw lasers for $199 a while ago ahahhahahha that cracks me up! They are nice people tho - I agree they are more into tourists with cameras - guess the rents high in that spot - sorry adders is a bit of backwater for walk in shops - NSW must be the best surely?
Kearn

asimov
20-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Yep. I'll continue to shop in sydney, despite living west of Adelaide.

Dave47tuc
20-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I have purchased 80% of my gear over the years from Bintel :2thumbs:

Most shops down here are to expensive.

At the moment I'm dealing with Frontier Optics. We shall see how that goes.
Daniel responses have been quick and has all the information I need. :D

That 2x 2" Barlow is on the way :2thumbs:

Chrissyo
29-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, I'm back from my travels! (Got home at about 2am last night, thanks to some delays at the air port).

I had a look in some telescope shops (York Optical in Melbourne and Adelaide Optical), but neither even had any 2" Barlows. :( I think I'll just order it from Bintel tonight.

Just some quick off topic-ness. We went to the Adelaide Museum, and got to see the Russian space suit that Andy Thomas wore during ascent and descent during his 1998 stay on MIR for the Phase One project. (See picture).

Also, during the flight home last night I spotted the half moon from my window, and decided to take lots and lots of pictures of it so I could stack them later (you can tell I was sooooo bored!). The result is my first astro pic taken at 11000 metres (according to the captain).

ving
29-06-2005, 01:05 PM
the moon looks like a smile... without eyes! :)