PDA

View Full Version here: : Imaging with filters

Outbackmanyep
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Just wondering guys, i understand that imaging with a CCD camera you can use filter wheels in conjunction with the camera but if you was doing prime focus photography with a radial guider and a digital SLR how is it possible to fit a filter to the set-up??

All i have is the camera / t-ring / guider / reducer-corrector (with or without) / UV - dust seal .....all attached to the telescope.

(I know i can fit a filter using the eyepiece projection adaptor, but to hold this set-up firmly using only one locking screw on the visual back is difficult)

So what filter would fit on that?? Is there a screw-on type like the dust seal/UV filter style.....or is there a special adaptor to take the 1-1/4" or 2" filters???

I haven't been around to see filters used on astrophotgraphy set-ups except for the usual filter wheel set-ups with CCD camera's like the ST-7...

Curious to know!

Cheers!

leon
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I'm not sure what a radial guider is, but i use single filters when i do prime focus photography using my DSLR.

With both the 300mm Lens, and the Tak 106 the filter fits in behind the rear element of either.

The 300mm has a drop in slot, and the Tak screws in behind the element, and every thing else needed for imaging fits over it. (the filter).

This may be of some help to you.

Leon :thumbsup:

Outbackmanyep
03-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Have you got an image of your filter set-up leon??

Cheers!

leon
03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure, I will have a sticky through the pics and see what i can find.

leon

leon
03-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok Lets see if this may help, I don't actually have an image of the filter, but tried to show you as best i can where they fit.

The Tak in the middle has a black cap, with silver insert, this screws off and the filter goes in side behind the rear lens, then the camera adapter screws on over that and so on with the camera.

The lens on the side has a filter holder which can be removed, and then another filter put in place and then dropped back in, it is very secure.

Have a study of the pic and see if you can make sense of it.

Leon :thumbsup:

Terry B
03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Chris
How are you connecting your camera to the scope? What is the connection between the radial guider and the scope? Is it a slip in or does it screw directly into the visual back of the scope?

Outbackmanyep
04-11-2007, 11:38 PM
It screws in Terry, i'll bring my gear next time we're at the Observatory at Armidale and i'll show you, its quite simple but i have never seen filters bigger than 2" for 2" eyepieces!

Thanks for the pics Leon! :thumbsup:
Thats a nice set-up you have there!

:cheers: