PDA

View Full Version here: : Update Of Samson Mount

mick pinner
01-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I have just received a Samson mount l bought from Lars and did a quick assembly to see how it all goes together.
After hearing the weight these mounts can carry l thought it would be worth spending a few dollars and updating it similar to what Paul Mayo did to his.
So, an Argo Navis system and some machining of the housings and fitting some needle roller bearings and of course the necessary paint job.
Keep you posted on the progress.

Dennis
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey Mick

Looks like a great project for a man of your skills. Do keep us posted with your progress.

Cheers

Dennis

Satchmo
01-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Its great to see a Samsom mount still functioning out there. I saw over a hundred sold whilst I was working at Astro Optical Supplies from 1985 to 1988 . I didn't appreciate at the time what a great feat this was: an Australian made production Equatorial mount that had a capacity that most of the popular Chinese mounts wouldn't even remotely be capable of.

The new owner of AOS in the 90's scrapped the mount and optical manufacturing in favor of pushing imported cardboard boxes out the door , and a most special era in Australian manufacturing and amateur astronomical history of 30 years was over.

miki63au
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Mick,
I'm in the same situation.
Than sum research, right now I'm tossing up
between Skyscan, Argo-Navis or Meade Autostar
with LXD-75 motors. The last two is the more economical
option. With the Autostar you can specify the worm
reduction ratio independently of the axis.
The controller is below $300, not sure about the motors.
See my previous post "look what I have..."
My mount apparently made by a company in Cairns,
so far nobody could identify it.
Good luck with yours, keep us updated.
Mick.
(I better change my name to Miklos, to avoid confusion :)

GrahamL
02-11-2007, 12:36 AM
looks good mick..I see a few of those mounts about but didn't realise they were an ausie creation .. good luck with the resurection
The dishlickers bowl could do with a top up if you didn't notice btw ;):P

Aster
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello Mark,

Thought I knew that name, the penny just dropped. Do You still keep in touch with Peter? You remember Peter your helper pushing glass.:)

Regarding the Samson Mount. There are still lots of them in use around the country. The last lot I made was back in 1996. And thanks for the kind words. Many hours I spend trying to design and make something to a budget. But, even if I say so myself, it was a good solid mount for that time. BTW, I was the AOS Melbourne bloke.

Alexander

netwolf
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Mick awesome effort, I really like these mounts. I tried hard to get one when I had my 10" newt but no one wanted to sell there mount. There were two mount the Samson and the Goliath. With your machining skills i am sure this mount of yours will produce great results.

Alexander, wow finally the maker of these mounts. I have long admired these mounts. I think they are as others have said a very solid mount. Can you advise if the last batch made had a tangent arm for dec or worm gear?
Do you still have the plans and designs for these mounts?

Regards
Fahim

Aster
03-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes Fahim, the last batch I made, as all others, had the facillity to attach a manual dec. slow motion control which consisted of a short tangent arm attached to the top part of the dec housing and a worm and bracket attached to the underside of the saddle.

No, I do not have the design drawings or working drawings or any parts as the belonged to AOS even though I designed them and made them, but was a employee of AOS. I got retired back in 97-98 as they then, like Mark said, were more interested in pushing imported goods out the door. Mind you, one does not forget what one designed and made, although dimensions could be a problem.

I don't even know who the new owner of AOS is. When I got retired it was Monty Ash. Why don't you give AOS a call, they might still have some bits and pieces lying around.

Alexander

Roger Davis
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
... and I still have the one that my homemade 6" reflector was on! And I bought that from Alex when I was quite a bit younger!
Since then have fixed a few and modded a few and cursed the few that weren't looked after properly.

koputai
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Hey Mick, how's this project going? Just picked up a Samson myself and am interested in what you're doing.

Cheers,
Jason.

mick pinner
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
hi Jason, l have got a few modifications and upgrades on the go, l'll dig out some photos and post in a day or so.

koputai
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Excellent, thanks Mick.

Cheers,
Jason.