PDA

View Full Version here: : Before I spend my money - on filters!!

kljucd1
31-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I want to buy some filters to get rid of as much of the light pollution as I can. Also, I own a refractor and also want to get rid of the violet hue around bright objects.

If I buy a UHC filter and a minus violet filter can I, or should I, attach both filters as the same time?

Any advice is much appreciated :):):)

Regards

Daniel...

Lee
31-10-2007, 08:47 PM
The UHC filter will help reduce light pol - I think doubling up you may decrease the available light a bit much..... You could always try it and see, can't hurt.....

kljucd1
01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that.

I assumed that the UHC filter would not remove the violet hue, so I was just wandering which filter I should buy first as I have an 8" dob, on the usual dob base, and a 102mm refractor on an eq mount (which I prefer because of the ease involved with tracking items.)

On the light pollution side of things, after dark adapting for about 1/2 an hour, I can see less that 200 stars from one side of the sky to the other. Do other people in metropolitan areas have it this bad??

Let me know

Thanks

Daniel...

Astro78
03-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Daniel,

I can't comment on the filters - other than I plan on getting one to cut out the light pollution too.

200 stars - to the naked eye it's the same here around Chatswood most nights but there have plenty of nights (6 months into Astronomy) that I have actually been able to see the odd cluster naked eye style. On these nights I believe there would be thousands visible.

Through my 4.5 inch cat newt and lately the new 8 inch Newt the star count would surely be in the 10's of thousands!

rmcpb
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I have both the UHC and the OIII and find them great but would really take a pull at stacking them with another filter, especially in an aperture challenged scope, they really cut down the available light.

kljucd1
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that guys!!

I guess with the christmas period coming up I will have to wait until next year anyway:( . Unless someone buys me one for christmas:D.

Thanks again

Daniel...

JethroB76
03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Put the order in now :lol:

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a DGM NPB filter..

PCH
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi Daniel,

when you've received your UHC filter and had chance to test it, I'd be grateful if you'd give your opinion as to it's effectiveness, as I was thinking of ordering one of these too.

Many thanks,

erick
04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Don't try to get one second-hand from here. No-one will part with theirs! It'll have to be Santa! :)

kljucd1
04-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah no problems, will do. :)

Daniel...

Astro78
05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Daniel,

Please post on how the filter goes. Love the idea of getting one too but a lot of money for a bit of an unknown.

Travis

kljucd1
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I managed to get one cheaper from the ads on this website, just waiting for it to arrive now.

Regards

Daniel...

kljucd1
11-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Hi,

I got my Astronomik UHC filter and, finally, the clouds went away. I decided to go with the 8" dob on this occasion because of the ability to gather more light. I quickly located the Orion Nebula and let me tell you :eyepop:. It is the first time I have seen any nebula with my own eyes and it was amazing.

In as far as the assistance provided by the filter, because of my neighbour on one side and the street light on the other side of my property I never have been able to see anything. On this occasion though, I was able to see a fair amount of detail. That said, when looking at this nebula I am facing almost towards the neighbours light and so when my brother stood in a position to block their light, that is when the detail started to show through.

In conclusion, it definitely helped me a lot, but stupid neighbours will still be a problem :P.

Daniel...