PDA

View Full Version here: : Long Perng scopes

Lee
30-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Has anyone had a play with any of these?? I'm interested in what their build quality and optics are like.... I see Andrews is getting a 100mm f/6 Apo in December.... sounds nice!

MortonH
30-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I have held the 72mm model in Andrews shop but haven't looked through one. Build quality seemed very good, possibly even a bit heavier than you'd expect, but compact. From what I've read and been told, they make many/most(?) of the scopes sold by William Optics, Saxon, etc. So I guess you'd expect the quality to be up there with the 'brand' names, but maybe a bit cheaper. I think the 72mm might be an ideal travel scope, with a bit more aperture than the popular 66mm models from WO.

Morton

DaveM
30-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I recently bought the 80mm $399 achromat for a grab and go scope and was really impressed with the build and finish. Very classy looking piece of kit with a smooth focusser. The scope is not quite the same as the photo on the website and is in fact indistinguishable from the William Optics Zenithstar II (and I have been told that Long Perng actually builds stuff for WO so that makes sense). I can't comment on whether the optics are the same, but I don't see any reason why they would be any different if it is going through the same factory. There is some purple fringing on Jupiter and to a lesser degree on the moon at higher mag, but as far as I know the Zenithstar II does as well. (Any WO owners can chip in here).

If they are in fact the same scope, or very nearly the same, the price of the Long Perng is a steal. If I was a serious refractor user I would definitely give the APOs a look when they come in.

David

netwolf
30-10-2007, 10:27 PM
On the LP website the have a 80mm ED scope that has not been released yet that is also red in color i am waiting to see what price it comes in at. Then there is the 100mm ED F6 scope that i am waiting to also see the price on.
David, I have eyed the LP Achromat that you purchased but am waiting for the release of the ED version which is the same scope with a different lens. I wonder if they are compatible with the WO Apograde's.

Regards
Fahim

Lee
30-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Sounds promising then..... Has anyone heard a ballpark figure for the 100mm f/6?????

h0ughy
30-10-2007, 10:54 PM
yes I was looking at that one too - hoping for excellent quality and a cheap price. Also still waiting to see the Andrews GS version of the 16" scope too

MortonH
30-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I hope the 100mm actually materialises. It was supposed to be available this month. Couldn't be another Meade 127ED????

DaveM
31-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Fahim,
I would imagine that the Apograde would work on the LP. I don't know how much the upgrade is in Australia, but it is US$400 from the US. So, including postage, you could have the equivalent of a Zenithstar 80FD for a total cost of just over AUS$900 rather than $1200. Not bad.

Personally I think I will just get one of the new Baader semi-apo filters to knock off the fringing since I won't be doing imaging, and this would be adequate for a travel scope.

David

tnbk00
31-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm with DaveM on his analysis. I got the 80mm as a travel scope and im really happy with it. Chromatic abboration is pretty severe at high mag but for $399 its quite acceptable.

Daniel

MortonH
31-10-2007, 08:26 PM
The apograde is no longer available.

Morton

netwolf
01-11-2007, 12:31 AM
David, who has that one for 900$? That is a much better deal.

Regards
Fahim

DaveM
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I can't remember which site it was now. I just did a google search. Perhaps it was an out of date page if they are no longer available.

casstony
01-11-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm guessing that 100 f/6 is actually a 100 f/7, the same scope being marketed by many retailers including this one http://www.stellarvue.com/sv102abv.html
Note the Long Perng style focuser at the bottom of the page.

casstony
01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Package from william optics for the same scope: PACKAGE INCLUDES: OTA, 2" Dielectric Diagonal and NEW Zoom Eyepiece 22.5-7.5mm for US$999
Interpreting from posts online, sounds like fpl51 with slightly worse color correction than the old Meade ED doublets(not that they were bad).