PDA

View Full Version here: : Synscan and GPS

Terry B
29-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a synscan 3.12 with my EQ6 mount. I don't own a GPS unit but potentially will buy one to use in my car. A navman type thing. Can these units be connected to the synscan to update it's time and position etc?

allan gould
29-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes GPS can be added. I purchashed the StarGPS so that I can use it with my Losmandy and Version 3.12 HEQ5Pro mount. Just needs an additional cable and NO softare to mess with. Worked perfectly first time.
Regards, Allan

Terry B
30-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I understand that the starGPS can be used with the synscan but can an ordinary GPS unit used in a car also be configured to give the info to the hand controller?
Thanks

iceman
30-10-2007, 02:33 PM
How accurate does the information you enter really need to be, for it to be able to do accurate goto's? I guess the more accurate the better.. :)

Terry B
30-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't think that the GPS accuracy is that important for good gotos. I rarely move sites anyway but entering accurate time that would be in sync with the computer via a link rather than eyeballing my mobile would be good as the source if the time. The synscan doesn't keep its set time when it is turned off.

Karls48
30-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I don’t know it if StarGPS will work with Navman type of GPS but you can buy for about $40 one of older mouse type of GPS from eBay. Then all you need is patch cable and StarPatch software. I use one with Autostar (it doesn’t need any extra cable) and it works great. I got it for same reason – accurate time every time.

rumples riot
31-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't think a navman will connect to the scope. The language is dissimilar. I have not heard of anyone connecting one of these up, however by all means try.

In terms of the stargps. I have one for my CGE mount. Now before I had it the goto's were a little inconsistent due to living in a 1/2 hour time zone. The Celestron unit being like HC for the EQ6; which does not recognise the 1/2 hour falters as a result. However now that I have the gps on it. Each goto is perfect and always in the centre or near centre of the field of view. Worth the money.

dugnsuz
31-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I must get one soon Paul, my goto's are always out by half an hour too:lol:
Bloomin' SA timezone, bloomin' SA weather rant rant!!!!;)
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

allan gould
31-10-2007, 03:09 PM
The StarGPS unit as I said works for both my Losmandy G11 and Heq5Pro mounts. Just swap a cable between the two and it works great. The first time initialisation took a while but takes less time now. But my gotos are definately better now. Really was worth the money for the unit.

Shoalhavenastro
31-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I am thinking of converting my EQ6 to a GOTO mount. I have read a little bit but I am still not sure what I need. The EQ6 SyncScan V.3 Upgrade for just under $1K is one I have seen, is there more? Does this work or are there problems? Do you need a GPS?:shrug:

rumples riot
31-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Yep Doug, worth getting. You can come down one night and check it out if you like.

Don't worry about the weather. Everyday it rains now is one day less of fire later in the year. If we did not get rain now, everything would dry out and be much worse later.

Shoalhaven the use a of a GPS would be good, however given that you live in a whole number time zone, it will work well without it. The GPS would give it more accuracy than it would normally have.