PDA

View Full Version here: : Reviews on the Synta ED120 ?

chris lewis
27-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Chris from NZ ! - Can any one update with any experience / feedback on the Synta range of ED120 F7.5 scopes. ? A full review would be great ! otherwise observers experience with CA, [esp.] and planetary / DSO's observations would be helpful. The New Meade 127mm triplet is no longer going to be sold so that leaves the Synta versions as the main 'entry' level 5 in type 'APO'.
I have the opportunity to buy the Skywatcher 'Equinox' version - black gloss, with the 2x speed focuser - but really want to hear some feedback first.

Thanks for any info.

netwolf
27-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Chris, from what I have read its a very nice scope. But for about the smae price there is a bargain in the Sale section here on IIS on a Vixen scope that would be a much better performer. I think its the Vixen 115.
For that matter if you are looking at the entry level, based on recent research i am convinced the Vixen Japanese made ED telescopes are the best bang for buck, and more so if you buy used.

Here is the link http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=22915

Regards
Fahim

chris lewis
27-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for that. Impressive looking telescope. Just read a brief forum review [on the one when the nights are cloudy] and it certainly rates up there with the top end APO's. CA appears to be non existent. I have had 2 previous Vixen achro scopes and a current Polaris mount and they have excellent build quality.

Starkler
27-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks Fahim, and yes its still for sale :)

netwolf
27-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Chris, when you consider the price (especially in Australia) for the Synta clones. The vixen is the better buy. For whatever reason the Vixens are priced almost the same her as they are in America. But the Synta clones cost almost double here. With that in mind the the Vixen 115 is optically better and is not so hard on the pocket either.

Regards
Fahim