PDA

View Full Version here: : 6 months into Astronomy - Ready for next Scope

Astro78
25-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I bought my 1st scope off ebay about 6 months ago and have just loved it. Have been doing a lot of learning since then and reckon I'm above beginner level now - hence not using beginner forum :)

The current scope is an old 4.5 inch Tanzutsu Schmidt Netwonian (short tube) with an EQ2 mount. I've never had such bang for my buck on any purchase btw!

I'm wanting (needing) a bigger scope and am hoping to be steered in the right direction by some experienced astronomers.

It would almost certainly be second hand to get more value, especially as now have the patience (thanks to astronomy) to wait for "the right one" to become available.

I'm completely sold on the EQ mount type and have managed to pick up a really good Olympus OM-1 that I can't wait to start experimenting with. So that rules out the dob mount (shame 'cause not a lot of cash).

I'm leaning towards another schmidt newtonian but in the 8 inch class. That being said I very nearly bought an 8 inch SCT but figured the focal ratio was too high (narrow view right?).

Other options would be (like you guys don't know!) a standard Newt or possibly (unlikely) a refractor. Now I know the standard newt will give more light that a schmidt newt but will also have the spikes from the spider that i'm not currently getting. Is this annoying and would dust etc fall onto the mirror?

This would be used 95% for visual viewing and mostly deep sky objects, although i'm hanging to get much much more magnification on the moon and planets. It can't be possible to see the USA flag right - no stupid suggestion...LOL.

Budget would be anywhere between $600-$1200

Are there brands i should consider/steer away from - what focal ratio is recommended - do i need to worry about the size of the secondary - HELP HELP HELP.

This next scope will have to be it for at least a couple of years, so want to be careful.

Clear Skies (except drought areas),
Trav

Alchemy
26-10-2007, 07:20 AM
hmmm you want mainly deep sky viewing. you would probably want minimum 8 inches and low f ratio. i dont know how good the meade schmidt newt and mount is, im not aware if anyone heres got one you could consider that , or plop a second hand 8 inch gso or similar dob onto a 2nd hand eq 6 ( you can buy rings easily)that might blow the budget though.

Visual is one thing but imaging is a very different game you want a stable mount that you can guide and if you are serious take a guidescope as well. its ahuge learning curve and until you get there, often you dont know what is best.

if you were imaging then the ed80 seems to be the most popular place to start then as you upgrade it becomes the guidescope.

im sure others will put in some ideas for you

cheers AL

Astro78
26-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks Al.

The EQ6 looks like one awesome mount but think it's just out of reach for now. Do you know how an 8 inch newt/dob ota would go with something cheaper like an EQ5? I think even an HEQ5 or meade equivalent wont leave any change for the scope.

The ED80 looks impressive but on paper just don't seem to compare. ie. resolving power/light thoroughput etc. Is the sharpness and extra clarity worth a serious look? Mostly for visual but could see myself taking shortish exposures on DSE...

Really appreciate your advice.

thanks,
Trav

ballaratdragons
26-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I noticed something in the latest AS&T mag that could be ideal. While your saving for an EQ mount this might be good.

On page 31 is an 8" Orion Intelliscope dob with computerised object locator.
For what it is, I think it is a good deal at $619.95

It also comes in a 10" and a 12".

Don't know where you would get them in Oz, but they are advertised, so someone is selling them.

If you don't have the Magazine handy, here it is: http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=dobsonians/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=27183

Alchemy
27-10-2007, 07:40 AM
my thoughts on the ed80 were aligned with photography in mind as an option... sorry if didnt explain.....the photography is my personal main interest(i get a bit blinkered on that), and it seems that most people end up wanting to at least have a go, and i know that its the mount that will let most people down in this department, a lower budget scope delivers good results to start with............here i go again...........:P

Back to your initial issue. 8 inch plus newt , low f ratio, dont know much about the eq5.
could you go to a star party or a club and have a squiz at others gear?

if you just wanted to visual it would be so easy... big dob!

cheers for now AL:)

rumples riot
27-10-2007, 09:32 AM
No you cannot see the US flag. LOL.

I have looked through the schmidt newt that Meade sells and it is very good I must say. Very bright and a good light grasp especially if you are looking to get into astrophotography.

My suggestion is just buy the OTA and then get a EQ6 if you can afford it. (which you say you cannot for the moment) They are very solid and stable. Mind you the HEQ5 might also be suitable, but the more load a mount can carry the better the stability and hence the better images obtained. The Meade mount is not that good and you will see this in the images.

This OTA will not really help much with the planets, but it will be better than the 4" and some reasonable views can be obtained.

If you are really stretched try looking at a second hand dob and putting it on top of a HEQ5. Plenty of people have done that and get great images.

Best of luck, let us know if we can help more.

Astro78
27-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, man I love this community!

After ruling out the DOB earlier this month, I know thinks it's simply my best option. Photography if something I want to try but hey it's early days in the hobby and would have years to build up the necessary equipment to do this. Unless there's a magic bullet i've missed of course.

So the 8 inch or even a 10 inch (Wow!) Dob with a savings account for an EQ6 is the G.O. But still open to anyone's advice.

Considering that upgrade plan, what should be factored in when choosing a Dob guys? I suppose weight would want to be as lean as possible. Which Dobs?

I just got a quote from Astro-Optical for $599 for the 8inch Saxon/Bower, $899 for the 10inch. Does anyone know how these compare to say the Meade lightbridge or the GSO?

thanks again guys!

stellarquest
28-10-2007, 07:06 PM
G'day Astro,My two cents worth (showing my age here!) I love love love my 12"LB. That said a 10" LB would be one of the ultimate go anywhere, not much weight, great quality scopes everyone should have in their arsenal. Or, if you are really smitten by the LB as I obviously am, then buy the 8" for the car (I have an Echo!!!!!), and keep the 12" at home for easy rolling out, othat special star party. I also own a WO ED60 and a WO 80ED and find them to be superb. My humble opinions. Enjoy the journey, may you never get to you're destination.

Astro78
28-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Thank you to all you guys.

Just bought a 2nd hand 8 inch Newt on an EQ4/5 mount from a member up the coast (thanks Geoff!). Been playing around for the last 3 hours and am very impressed. If not for the clouds, was ready to take the Monday off work!

It's early days but this thing puts us in a whole new ballpark!

Just have to say this mount seems to hold the big 8 inch with ease. Almost certainly will be different story for the photography but hey stay tuned.

you little ripper
Trav

ballaratdragons
29-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Well that solved your question about what to get next :thumbsup:

I hope it lives up to what you want it to do. 8" will show you plenty.

Astro78
30-10-2007, 01:14 AM
This thing is bliss. It's knocked my socks off thus far (1.5 nights in)

After many months of trying was able to locate the saturn nebula for the very first time tonight! Can't wait to collimate the scope. The guy i bought it from had never done so in 7 years!