PDA

View Full Version here: : Strange banding on my solar images

rumples riot
20-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I need some help.

I have search the internet and cannot seem to find the solution to this problem.

On the image below you can see diagonal bands running from bottom right to top left. The image is of an active region on sol. I have tried rotating the scope, the camera, the diagonal and the barlow. The bands stay in the same position and do not move. Can anyone suggest what the cause might be?

Initially I thought it was the camera, but given the bands do not move, I can only assume that this is a software related issue or an RF problem. I am certain it is not anything to do with the scope. However, I would appreciate any advice to the cause of the problem.

Paul

h0ughy
20-10-2007, 10:08 PM
it almost looks like a polarising effect? If you rotated the camera and it didnt move then it must be coming from the optics, or the atmosphere if it hasnt happened until now, and you have taken a few shots from the scope now?

rumples riot
20-10-2007, 10:21 PM
No it has been there since I did my first image with this scope.

Interesting idea about polarising effect. That might give me some ideas.

citivolus
20-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Interference patterns of some type? I think I noticed it in one of the other images you posted somewhere.

h0ughy
20-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Glad to have been of some useless help!! are there any other filters or lenses used?

[1ponders]
20-10-2007, 10:43 PM
They are not Newton Rings then Paul?

rumples riot
20-10-2007, 10:48 PM
No David, just an IR/UV filter which I have taken off twice and the pattern is still there

Paul, no Newtons rings are curved and this is not the cause here.

Citi, yes this is more my thinking. The regular banding is a sure sign. I need another monochrome camera to make an assessment though. It might well be the software.

I do know one thing though; it is ruining my images.

Alchemy
21-10-2007, 07:22 AM
hope you fix it soon
we would like to see some more pics, as no one else seems to have one of those halpha scopes.