PDA

View Full Version here: : ASGT guide cable

Harpspitfire
19-10-2007, 01:06 PM
does anyone use the ASGT mount, and guide through the bottom of the handcontroller connected to the comp's serial port?

seeker372011
19-10-2007, 07:03 PM
yes-except i use a serial to usb convertor as my laptop doesnt have a serial port

worked just fine with Guidedog and with PHD

I say worked because recently something has gone wrong with my mount and I havent had clear skies to be able to test if the fix I put in ( a new hand controller) works or not

Harpspitfire
19-10-2007, 09:50 PM
ok-- heres my problem, i blew my comp up too!! but when i got it back and installed all the cables, i noticed my serial plug has a 6 pin adaptor with it-- this is what i got-- http://www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl/ProgrammingCable.htm now i bought this and the cable as one unit-- but the cable that goes into this is only a 4 pin cord. im not sure what to make of this now-- how can a 4 pin cord work in a 6 pin plug??- john

seeker372011
20-10-2007, 04:46 PM
this is not something I feel qualified to answer..maybe someone else can help?

however I will email your question to a generally knowledgeable man at my astronomy club (who doesn't visit this forum) and see if he can help

narayan

Nico
20-10-2007, 07:34 PM
John,

Get yourself a serial cable, cut one end off (the one that will connect to the mount) and work out which wires are required. I think the Celestron uerman details the wiring or the Nex star site has the details. For the connector, get on down to Jaycar or Dicksmith and buy a packet of connectors, forget which ones RJ?. To put it together, just use a something that can force the terminal down onto the wire. No special tools required.

Hope that helps.

Nico

seeker372011
20-10-2007, 09:30 PM
umm..don't think they actually have a Jaycar or Dicksmith in his neck of the woods.guess Radio Shack / Tandy would be the equivalent

Harpspitfire
20-10-2007, 10:23 PM
ok- this is confusing now-- the mount control is a 4 pin---connected with a 4 pin wire--i got a serial plug in the comp with a 6 pin adaptor-- now what i cant see is, even if i get a 6 pin adaptor on the opther end of the wire--it actually goes to nothing then right?

Nico
21-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I'll have to pull mine apart to see what i've done, but I can assure you that it does work. I'll get back to you soon.

nico

Nico
21-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Have a look at the attached pic. The connector is viewed from the front, i.e. looking at the end that plugs into the mount.

The connections are TX, Rx and gnd.:thumbsup: