PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen 12x80 binoculars

rogerg
18-10-2007, 11:05 AM
G'day all,

I'm considering the purchase of 80mm binoculars. The most appropriate option I have seen so far is the Vixen 12x80mm ones. $830 is the price I was quoted.

Anyone got comments on alternatives and the quality of these Vixen ones?

I was thinking of something around the $200 mark until on the weekend I tried some 11x70 that are priced in that range and they were of suspect quality.

I want them to have sitting next to my portable setup so that my partner and I can use them while my setup is busy taking photo's. My partner found the 11x70 ones too frustrating to use, so there's no point getting them, hence I'm looking in the next price bracket up.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger.

chris lewis
18-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I have viewed thru a 12x80 Vixen during day time testing. The image was very sharp and contrasty. It was sharp to 90 %. They are very well built hi- quality binos [Japanese made]. They have multi coatings 'only' - not 'Fully multi coatings' - however the coating were very impresive and did supress internal reflections very well.
Some issues to consider - the exit pupil is 6.7 mm so these size binos are best on very dark skies and with 'young' pupils that dilate that far if not you will waste light.
The Afov is 54.4 degrees - not wide by any means.
I have 3x 80mm size Japanese binos - 11x 16x and a 20x. [Non vixen]. I use the 11x one the least - this is primarily related to the narrow Afov
Viven make 3 sizes 80mm binos with different mags. the 12x, a 16x and a 20x - the 16x has a similar Afov as the 12x whilst the 20x has a wider 66 degree Afov. The exit pupils are 5.3mm [16x ] and 4.0 mm [20x] which may be more suited for your eyes and viewing conditions.
The other consideration is the mount - at 2.3 Klgs. they do require a suitably tall mount and safe [!] mount - even at 12x. I do occasionally hand hold my 11x for short periods only however.
If you have your heart set on the 12x fine - however I would strongly suggest you view the 16x or the 20x binos as well [if they are available] they do provide a better image scale and the ability to see 'deeper'.
There are other well spec'd Kunming binos in the 80mm and 100 mm sizes from AOE / Andrews etc. that are less expensive that you may also want to consider - just avoid 'paralysis by analysis' !
If you do go for the Vixens [of any size] you will have brougt very hi quaity binos that will last a life time.
Just some thoughts.

rogerg
18-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks,

I'm not set on any particular ones yet - relatively early days of investigation. In the vixen range of 80mm there's only 12x, 20x and 30x I believe.

Thanks for your detailed response, just what I'm after - hands on experience.

I don't expect to be able to try any before I buy, no one local would stock such things. The best I have got local is 15x70 (celestron) and 11x70 (no-name generic).

Roger.

chris lewis
18-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Vixen do make a Water proof 16x as well - [US link below]. You are correct in the 30x size as well. The Celestron 15x70's are 'reasonable' astro binos again they are Multi coated 'only' and are not FMC- they do get mixed reviews just make sure they are well collimated.
Good luck in your quest.
http//www.opticsplanet.net/vixen-giant-waterproof-16-x-80-bcf-binoculars.html (http://www.opticsplanet.net/vixen-giant-waterproof-16-x-80-bcf-binoculars.html)

StarLane
18-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I have recently purchased a pair of AOE 20x80T (triplet) binoculars. They are FMC and have Bak4 prisims and around 65 degrees field of view and around 4mm exit pupil, I love em.

I have looked through more expensive binos before and have never been real impressed by the view. For the money the AOE 20x80T's are surprisingly good. After using these, I wouldn't consider paying 800 odd dollars for a pair of binos. Sure the 800 dollar pair maybe 5% or so better in performance, but they will cost you +300% more, is it worth it???

I find they are best used with the eyeguards folded in (see all the field easier). I am also using a large video tripod with fluid head. This is great for bino use, nice smooth movments and no shaking/vibrations you get with a small stills or small vid tripod.

I recommend you try a more reasonably priced brand binoculars first (20x80's are great for astro use) and if you don't like em, you can post em on this forum or other astro buy/sell sites and ebay, and almost get your money back.

Cheers.

Nevyn
18-10-2007, 11:29 PM
There's a really good piece on "How to choose Binoculars for Stargazing" in the lastest Australian Sky & Telescope. I will admit, it has influenced me somewhat!