PDA

View Full Version here: : cost effective motorized eq5 mount

joshman
16-10-2007, 05:28 PM
hey guys, i've been looking into purchasing a motorized eq5 mount, going on paul's advice from cambroon, (and after getting a real taste of astro-photography), i've been looking on www.myastroshop.com.au (http://www.myastroshop.com.au)
at the various eq mounts available and i've come up with a few options...

i purchase a HEQ5 mount (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-042) ($1055) or,
i purchase an EQ5 mount (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-041) ($515) and a motordrive upgrade kit (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-021) ($280)

the mount and upgrade kit works out cheaper...but would it be worth it? am i better off purchasing teh HEQ5?

or is there an even better option?

Terry B
16-10-2007, 05:49 PM
How much weight do you plan on putting on the mount?
This will determine if you need the heavier mount. As for price give them a ring and see what deals they will do. Also try Andrews and http://www.telescopeshop.com.au/ for comparison prices.

joshman
16-10-2007, 06:00 PM
well i plan on mounting a camera for starters, then as more money hits my bank and savings, i plan to get a small scope through which i can do some astrophotography...then after that...i dunno...

mill
16-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Josh for $255 more than the eq5 you get an mount that can handle some load and is already motorized.
I would go for the heq5.

acropolite
16-10-2007, 07:18 PM
HEq5, although I'd be having a chat with Andrew (astroman) and seeing how he got on with his EQ6 computer interface, it may be worth adding a few extra dollars and going for an Eq6

luka
16-10-2007, 09:26 PM
eq5 at andrews for $349 (aluminium) or $399 (steel). Motor upgrade is $179 extra.
Much cheaper than HEQ5 and will hold ED80 for astrophotography nicely.

joshman
16-10-2007, 09:32 PM
hey, do you have a link to andrews? if i can do this reasonably cheaply, with little fuss, then awesome!

oh, and i might have this within a month too :D, got quite a bit of work, plus a tax return coming up...which should definitely put me ahead of the game :D

Terry B
16-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Andrews (http://www.andrewscom.com.au/)
as requested. It is also in the links section over here
<----------
as well as other vendors to look at:)

[1ponders]
16-10-2007, 10:06 PM
You could also contact Graham who was at Ron's on the weekend (setup just down from me). He has a HEQ5 with goto synscan V3.2 (whatever the latest version is) I know he is looking to sell his for around the $1000 mark. HEQ5 with synscan new is around $1700-$1800. While the Eq5 would probably handle a small scope with camera attached and another small scope for the guidescope the HEQ5 is a much more robust scope and you could easily go up to a 6" newt or similar for imaging.

joshman
16-10-2007, 10:16 PM
i think that settles it...HEQ5 it is!

i like the versatiliy or being able to put a biggish newt, or similar onto it...

like i said, within 4 weeks i should have the moneys to make a purchase, during which time i shall be moslty incommunicado with IIS, now if only i had graham's online persona, i could hunt him down...uh, i mean inquire as to the sale of his mount...

failing that...from where is the best place to purchase a HEQ5 mount?

[1ponders]
16-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Graham (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/member.php?u=1264)

If you like I can give him a ring and let him know you are looking for him.

joshman
16-10-2007, 10:39 PM
a tempting offer paul, but as the money is not actually in my pocket as yet, and unknown in actual quantity, i'll hold off on my jumping the gun, but $1000 is something i should be able to afford... maybe...we'll see... anyway, i'll pm him with my details and some questions about his gear, thanks for the heads up!

i owe you one, and as payment, i'll let you show me how to use my new mount when i get it :D

[1ponders]
16-10-2007, 10:40 PM
:lol: np except I've never had an EQ6 with synscan so I have no idea how the handpaddle works. I'll get you autoguiding though :)

ballaratdragons
16-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Josh, I went through all the same questions a few months back as you are doing now.

I asked opinions between an EQ5 with Vixen Goto and a HEQ5 with Synscan.

Many people replied with lots and lots of help.

The final result: I got an EQ6 and haven't looked back. Loads get heavy when adding cameras etc :thumbsup:

joshman
16-10-2007, 10:55 PM
i don;t even know what synscan is, lol... so i'm completely in the dark about these kinds of things

i think after the mount...the next thign will be an ED80 of some sort...

only a short step from there to some decent astrophotography... once i get the extra's for my camera...

i'll get a mount and my camera sorted for it's various requirements, then worry about a scope and the like...

i'll finally have a place to slap that IIS sticker i got last weekend :D

ballaratdragons
16-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Josh, if you intend to go to an ED80 (and a guidescope) you might even get away with one of the new EQ5 GoTo's.

These shops have them: Bintel, Andrews and MyastroShop. Others may too.

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7529

But I don't know if they have a built in Autoguide port :shrug:

g__day
16-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I must say I would be surprised if the encoded motorised mount add on has all the pointing, tracking and carrying capacity of a factory fitted unit.

I think big mounts are the way to go.

ballaratdragons
16-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I agree, but Josh is dollar limited.
Maybe he might find a HEQ5 or EQ6 without GoTo for a good price :shrug:

acropolite
17-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Josh, the Heq5 with Synscan is a better option, the HEq5 is sturdier than the Eq5 and the Synscan option is the full go-to handbox controller with database etc, Version 3 and upwards are software (flash) upgradeable as well. Perhaps the family would throw in the required extra dollars for an early Xmas pressie.:reindeer:

dugnsuz
17-10-2007, 08:42 AM
They do Ken - I'm using one;)

I got the EQ5 SynScan GoTo mount in order to put ED80 and 80mm AOE Achromat guidescope on it and have GoTO, PEC correction etc.
Working well so far for astrophotography.
I have painted myself into a corner though if I want to put a heavier OTA for photography on it down the line - then it would have to be the EQ6.

Happy with mount and ED80 now though:D

Picked up mount for $1100 -

Doug:thumbsup:

PS...8" Reflector on EQ5 for $799 in For Sale section

g__day
17-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Agreed, just aking is there any way to make this a balanced comparision if its not a simple apples vs apples choice. If the retro fit gives you exactly what the factory fit-out version offers - well its simple labour and set-up you are weighting up. If even with that its performance is marginally or significantly below par for whatever reasons - well that should be understood and balanced in the decision process too. I just wanted to check it wasn't being glossed over if anyone knew the details of the add on motors capabilities versus a factory fitted version.

Matt

joshman
17-10-2007, 05:28 PM
ok, quick question...what does OTA stand for?

and i think i'll definitely go with the HEQ5, a sturdier mount that can handle heavier payloads (sound like we're shooting stuff into orbit!), i'll start with a simple motorized mount, with an alignment scope, then add my various bits an pieces later... at least this way i can start doing some photography straight up... unless i can pick up a HEQ5 with the addons (GOTO, synscan 3.x) for a very reasonable price.

dugnsuz
17-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Optical Tube Assembly aka the scope!!!:lol:
Cheers and all the best in your search
Doug:thumbsup:

acropolite
17-10-2007, 06:37 PM
The HEq5 with Synscan ponders mentioned here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=262112&postcount=9) is about as good a deal as you are likely to get with the synscan controller.

Terry B
17-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Don't you just love TLA's
Optical Tube Assembly

rogerco
17-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I have recently got into astronomy with the intention of doing astrophotography. Started by buying the ED80 then an EQ5 tripod (steel) and head, then the motors. The tripod, head and motors all from Andrews. Be aware there are EQ mounts and EQ mounts they are not all the same. They are all chinese copies of a basic design which some time ago basically became public as I understand it. As a result an EQ5 from one shop is not necesarily going to be the same as that from another. I am happy with what I have, I got what I paid for. But I thought the motor assemblies from andrews were a little light on. The mounting of the motors has some flexing. So far this hasn't shown up in what I have done but that isn't much. I feel the EQ5 mount should be able to hold a bit more weight. I've been using the ED80 with a heavy SLR camera and it seems to cope fine. Can't say anything about the goto box as I haven't got that yet.

Roger