PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron CPC 1100 GPS or Meade Lightbridge 16"

BowzerS14
05-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi all

I am currently living in the US for work and i will be here until the middle of 08 give or take a month or so.
Whilst I am here i am looking at buying another scope because they seem to be a lot cheaper here.

I am mainly interested in visual only and maybe one day get into the imaging side of things. I am mainly concerned with set up times and maintenance. I dont really want to spend ages setting up the equipment.

The 2 scopes I am looking at are in the title. I have never used a scope with GPS. I imagine this cuts down on time quite a lot when searching for objects.

The Lightbrige i can get for US$1799 after a $200 rebate
The Celestron is a little more at US$2799 but still significantly chepaer than in AU.

I really want to know is the GPS worth the smaller mirror and easier set up and use. I am leaning towards the Celestron but 16" of apeture sounds so good.

Any help would be great.

h0ughy
05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
you can buy the lightbridge for 2600 here and not have to ship it over, which will blow any advantage you had of saving money. the same could go for the celestron? see if you can get to use a scope that someone has to get a feel for them, then make your choice. There must be a local astro group near you somewhere

BowzerS14
05-10-2007, 10:45 AM
hmmm. I have free shipping home for a very large volume of things. 1799US is a touch over 2K. Being 600 cheaper and free shipping is a significant amount.
The Celestron is far more expensive in AU. Over 4K i think. Works out to be 3100 ish in AU dollers.

Terry B
05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't see any advantage to GPS unless you regularly take your scope to different viewing spots. GOTO is a very different thing and does make finding things easier. The traking on the celestron vs the light grasp of the meade.
Difficult choice.

h0ughy
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
well then if you have free shipping home then get the big one - and the savings will pay for an argonavis to fit to the 16". however if you wish to image later you will need a EQ mount so both choices are void. But if it is for pure visual pleasure go the 16:thumbsup:

sejanus
05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
bowzer I used to have a cpc1100 - great scope but frighteningly heavy

I think it'll boil down to if you want goto or not.

The gps is just so you don't have to enter your local location when turning scope on. no big deal

I reckon the 16" with a argo navis would be the go.

wavelandscott
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
My only comment that might be considered useful (allowing of course for the fact that it might not be) is this...

Assuming that size/weight/ability to move around is not an issue...if you are intersted in "mostly" visual go for the bigger aperture scope and put an Argo Navis on it.

If you know in your heart that you will end up "mostly" taking pictures then go for the Celestron...

Good Luck!

BowzerS14
08-10-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the help all.

Does anyone have experience with setting up one of the lightBridge scopes. Does it take a long time or is it a reasonably fast process.

I think the set up time of the celestron will be shorter. Besides the three point alignement that is.

Cheers

sejanus
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think there'd be a huge amount of difference between them setup wise

Whilst you are doing a star alignment on the C11, you'll be setting up the LB

I'd say both would be ready about the same time