PDA

View Full Version here: : Astromeccanica Upgrade DA1

Striker
13-06-2005, 09:36 AM
HI All,

As most of you know...I purchased this kit as an upgrade for my EQ6.....unfortunetly things didn't work out as planned....I have had many issues making set up difficult for a newbie like myself....the final verdict was their was a Fault with the system....from all reports this is a rare fault that may be able to be fixed by some software programing.

I have decided to return the Kit to Italy for a full refund.

I would like to take the time to give the team out at Astromeccanica Italy a nice wrap....Paolo owns the company and on every occasion returned my emails which in my case was on a daily basis....you could see a real honest attempt to satisfy their customers and I take this time to say Thankyou to Paolo.

He is also happy for me to return the kit to Italy for a full refund.

I dont want to discourage anyone from buying this upgrade in the near furture as it is a quality product.....but would point this system towards an experienced astronomer.

iceman
13-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Bummer it didn't work out.. are you still planning on upgrading the EQ6 to something else?

Striker
13-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I have been talking to a few member regarding this and will probably be going for the SkyScan.....I want to get something local this time.

Robby's Star-mate look's intersting.

xstream
13-06-2005, 11:30 AM
That's bad luck Tony, I hope the SkyScan works out for you. Seeing Robbys Star-mate at SPSP this year I'm sure you would be more than happy with it.

gbeal
13-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I can certainly vouch for the StarMate, but if I am correct the Astrowhatever you had was a form of go to, correct??

[1ponders]
13-06-2005, 01:42 PM
The only thing with the StarMate John is that Tony will need an Argo Narvis to go with it. So he can find his way around the sky:P.

Striker
13-06-2005, 01:59 PM
The Astromeccanica set is is sold as Motorised drive's that can be used with GOTO software......but the software is produced by an outside company and has no support through Astromeccanica.

So to your Question Gary....No it's not sold as GOTO but is compatable with free drivers you can download of their web site..

Yes I need GOTO Paul...thanks for pointing that out...grrrrrrr.....but I have mastered finding Jupiter and the Omega.....lol...the rest is just a dark cloud in my skies.

[1ponders]
13-06-2005, 02:09 PM
That's alright Tony. As an astrophotographer you don't really need to know your way around the sky. That's what books with pretty pictures are for. You look at the picture, say "I'd like to image that" find out the name, click your little goto and image away. Easy see. :D :lol2:

Astroman
13-06-2005, 09:06 PM
From what I have heard is the SynScan as it is known as now is a very good system. It has Autoguiding and PEC which is ideal. New versions coming out later in the year will have firmware upgradable handsets (from the internet), something that is lacking in the current models, currently you have to send your handset back to Pacific Telescopes or Sky-Watcher and get them to upgrade. If your interested Tony point your browser to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eq6/ Very handy advice and most of the guys respond quickly to your questions.

Striker
13-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Andrew...I am already a member of that Yahoo Group and also understand that the hand controller is not upgradeable on the current model.....

The Skyscan's are well priced now so I will go for the current package and just upgrade to the new hand controller when it is released.

SkyScan $960

Striker
17-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Dam...SkyScan wont be here till next friday at the earliest......I am being very patient.....

slice of heaven
01-07-2005, 11:31 AM
And whats happening?

Striker
01-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Just rung them again...wont be here till next friday (gee that sounds familiar)...No SkyScan's in the country..shipment delayed for the 4th time.

Thankgod it's raining.

[1ponders]
01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Yes and we know who's to blame for that, don't we Tony :lol::P Who lives closer to the Gold Coast. You or me? :lol2: Watch out you don't start getting a few insurance claims :D

slice of heaven
01-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I bet thats trying your patience!
If they take much longer the new flash upgradeable out version will be out.

Striker
07-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Wahooo...

My SkyScan turned up......my first impressions....nice I get 2 free Phillips head screw drivers for free...lol

The whole system looks great...the 2 motors look identical but I doubt it to the Astromecanicca upgrade....everything about the motors look strong even down to what the brackets are made out of around 8-9mm Aluminium...compared to the 2mm stock standard....I will take a photo and post....first impressions very impressed with the set up..I just hope it all works...

asimov
07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Looks nice Tony...Hope it all works out.:thumbsup:

Astroman
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Great news Tony, I see you have the updated Synscan version (2.04 I think). Are you going to update the hand controller once the flash upgradable one comes out? or you going to wait until the bugs are ironed out? Motors look really good, nice casings on the gears too. TWO screw drivers, awesome, one for big hands one for small hands. I hope the 12v power cable it thick enough, if not you can wrap it around your corrector lens and use it as an anti-dew heater :)

Keep us posted.

atalas
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Congrats Tony !

Louie :thumbsup:

Striker
10-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I installed and tested the skyscan last night once the clouds cleared around 9:00pm..

Very simple to install and operate...very similar to the Meade Autostar..even easier.

The motors are extremely quiet and seems to handle the weight of my set up very easily...

I did the 3 star alignment and still found the accuracy to be off slightly...but I do still need to make all the fine adjustments....everything tracked reasonably and found at the end of the short night session I was extremely impressed.

I got the shoestring adapter working with guidedog, but I am not familiar with the operations of this software and found that it would track better without guiding...but I know thats just me trying to understand the software and its values.

looking forward getting out and doing some more testing and adjustments such as Backlash and PEC...etc

Keep you all posted.

slice of heaven
10-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Cool .
What version is it?

Striker
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Version 2.04

Jules
12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Tony,
I know from another thread that you ended up returning the kit.

My GP-DX is suffering from an intermittant RA drive - I suspect the stepper IC in my Vixen DD-1 controller is cactus...

I was considering the DA-1 as a replacement but when I came across your post about returning the kit, I'm not so sure now.

Can you tell me what the problem was?

Thanks,
Julian

Striker
12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
HI Julian,

Firstly I found the Astromeccanica kit is more designed for the experienced user and on top of that they really didn't design the kit to be used in the southern hemisphere...this may have changed by now but I had problems with software and getting any real accuracy with goto functions.

But the real problem was the RA drive would just stop after around half an hour which again was software related in the kit itself.....this also has been fixed through a firmware update but at the time I had had enough and returned the system....the customer service from Poala in Italy was very good and he always returned my emails.....

For my use after having the opertunity to use both this kit and the Skyscan I most definetly would go for the skyscan but from all reports the Astromeccanica kit is better....my opinion would not be so bias if i didn't have all the problem associated with the kit.

Jules
13-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info!
I don't know if the SkyScan will work with my Vixen GP/DX. Guess I'll have to hit the web to see...

My other alternative is the WinCTC controller from http://www.coaa.co.uk/winctc.php but it seems to be larger and require more bits to setup in the field before you can get going.

Regards,
Julian