PDA

View Full Version here: : Thinking of buying new telescope

skairey
27-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Morning everyone,
I am thinking of buying a new telescope, my little Nexstar is nice but I want more, (greedy l'il bugger). :D

I would like to see more of the planets and try my hand at taking snaps, I don't think my Nexstar is quite up to it, I don't get a large enough image.
Now my question is, what do I go for, I have no idea. I was hoping you could offer suggestions from your experiences.

Another question for you, I have an article from astropix.com, does anyone know anything about piggybacking with telephoto lense or prime focus photography? How do they attach the camera lense to the telescope? :shrug:

If I can do something similar it might help with my Nexstar until I can find and or afford a new telescope.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

h0ughy
27-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I had a piggy back bracket with my 4gt but with the camera and lens on top it was way to heavy for the drive. I got it from Scopetronix - but I think they are defunct now. If you did go up get an eq mount preferably an eq6 or better, as for the scope - well the world is your oyster. you could get a cheap GS dob either 8 or 10" and buy some rings to mount it on the EQ6 - and be very happy with the results.

rmcpb
27-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I would suggest an 8" dob and overmount it with an EQ6. You can then use it as a dob for general visual use or put it on the EQ6 for photography.

Great setup with the best of both worlds.

skairey
28-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Rob and Houghy, I'll go and have a look at Dob 8 & 10" and the EQ6.:2thumbs:
I can't wait to have a play with my new camera so the sooner I can get set up the better. In the meantime my little Nexstar will give me plenty of practise time.
Thanks again.:astron: