PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron cpc11

coldspace
25-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone. Quick questions on this model of scope to anyone who has one or knows a bit about them as I may buy one. Can you list any pro's and con's on them. Want goto,tracking ect. What's optic quality like ? Mount,mechanical,electronic and warranty service like?. Looking at getting 1 mainly for use with kids and family ect. Will probally get a 16 light bridge down the track to satisfy aperature fever for my self but want something reasonbly portable so can take out to clubs dark sky site everynow and again or to use with family and friends. Have also been tossing up on Lx200R 10 inch but the CPC11 seems like good buying at moment. Any thoughts.:)

Regards Matt.

g__day
25-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Matt

There was a review about 2 weeks ago - its still on the main page you've posted this question too.

Nice visual scope.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24023

Welcome aboard!

David Johns
25-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi Matt

I had the same choice ... CPC11 or LX200 ... but went for the CPC11 and it arrived in April this year. I must say that I have been very pleased with the quality of the scope and tripod. The scope sits rock solid on the tripod, the focusing knob is smooth and precise, and I have found the finderscope to be of good quality and well engineered .... it has remained accurately aligned to the main scope since I set it up over the past 5 months ago. After a few clumsy practice runs I have found it fairly easy to lift the scope onto and off the tripod - but remember the scope/arm assembly is not light. The handset and goto software are easy to use and really does makes one's time at the eyepiece very efficient as it is easy to hop from one object to the other, especially in tour mode. I must admit that I do have the occasional hiccup when using 3-star skyalign but this may well be something I am doing wrong in the inky blackness of my backyard as I usually have success I repeat the alignment procedure**. When seeing is goog the views through the my CPC11 have been absolutely fabulous (very clear, sharp and bright) ... I was blown away when I first viewed the Orion Neb and Jupiter.

Bottom line ..... I am pleased that I opted for the CPC11.

Regards

David

** I wonder whether anyone has found that the displayed local time (after link-up) is incorrect. The other night I corrected the reported local time (5 hours out) and then found that my skyalign was unsuccessful. Unfortunately clouds invaded and I have not had a chance to look at this.

sejanus
26-09-2007, 02:17 PM
awesome scope - though damn heavy!

coldspace
26-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Tks David for info went to york optical today and lifted one off tripod with ease. Will give all this some more thought.

Regards Matt.

Monkey
23-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi David,

Make sure you've upgraded your hc (hand control) firmware to the latest 4.12 - there are fixes to make timekeeping and display more accurate.

Monkey