PDA

View Full Version here: : Super Superwedge

beren
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Installed a kit today from Mitty Observatory Machine shop called the Combo Slo-Mo Kit for Meade's Superwedge , basically it replaces all the adjustment points on the meade superwedge to make for a much smoother, easier and more accurate actions . It took a bit of time for me to install but its easier enough for anyone to do , two tough points though i had to use a dremel hobby tool to sand a part of the wedge to accomadate the new crossbars and the stock wedge knobs are very hard to remove , you have to use a heating tool {blow dryer } to weaken the Locktite adhesive that holds them on to the threaded rods. Due to weather it looks like its going to be a few days before i can give it a go but just checking it out after installation its easier enough to see the huge improvement the kit makes . The stock wedge just has to much freeplay/backlash to give me consistent results in polar aligning , i could see this in some feild rotation problems im having with my imaging and it was just plain frustrating and annoying . Hopefully this kit will be make life easier and set up time quicker . I purchased the kit directly fromt he Mitty site http://home.cfl.rr.com/mitty/Firstpage.htm , the owner Frank Sperl was very prompt with enquires/replys and the kit arrived in quick time {ordered 31/5}. i was going to taske pics but heres a site with heaps and some reviews to if anyone is interested.......

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mitty/Firstpage.htm

http://www.meadelx200gps.com/reviews/slomokit.html :2thumbs:

[1ponders]
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Looks good Stuart. Hope to see some examples of its benefits soon :)

beren
10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
:thumbsup: hope so ,forgot i think im the only wedge here now :D

[1ponders]
10-06-2005, 08:24 AM
No, Iddon's got one:D

h0ughy
10-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I have bought a superwedge but have't used it yet. I am waiting until I get my observatory built. but the kit looks great. How many bananas did it cost Stuart?

beren
11-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately Houghy like most aftermarket stuff its banana value is high but without using it yet i can see already its made a big difference . If your going to use your wedge primarly for your observatory you might be better off to see how it goes first in stock mode , because im setting up anew everytime i go out i needed the kit to save my sanity. In hindsight i should have gone for one of the more precision crafted wedges to suit my mobility but the meade superwedge is still good its just the adjustments are so sloopy , a cheaper option is just getting the altizmuth mod to .Forgot to post this link to .....
http://www.voytechs.com/Astronomy/My_Equipment/Mitty_Upgrade/

Today i reinstalled the kit , i found the altitude adjustment to be very tight when turning the knob in both directions plus wanted to add nylon washers {getting some longer UNC bolts with handles made up to replace all the bolts on the wedge}and a teflon sheet in between the metal surfaces of the wedge and tripod head.Added some lithium grease to the needle bearings in the altitude adjustment and it seems to have done the trick although it takes a half turn to take up the slack when changing directions but its smooth . I couldnt find any teflon sheets so i used a thin {ill get a thicker one maybe when i get the longer bolts for safetys sake} cutting board from kmart , luckily it had a cricle marked on it that nearly matched my tripod head and centre marked , some quick router work and i had that set up with all the nylon washers added . All finished and fully locked the movements on both altitudee and azimuth axis are smooth and fine , no noise at all unlike the stock wedge , as mentioned just a bit of backlash on the altitude axis but worlds different from the unmodded wedge .
Heres some pics , i added the old azimuth threaded rod to the wedge for added ridigity {dont know if it helps though} and notice the weather ...blast...but least i got a quick snap of scorpio :D