PDA

View Full Version here: : Eye Glasses

nmo
20-09-2007, 09:20 AM
My mum wears glasses and has an astigmatism. She currently has a pair of multi focal glasses that make it very difficult (if not impossible) to look through an eyepiece so she doesn't wear glasses when using a telescope.

This means she see's the objects with the astigmatism.

Question.. If you were buying a pair of glasses for looking through a telescope, would you want reading or distance glasses?

Satchmo
20-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Nmo, It won't really matter which distance glasses she wears as the final focus can be adjusted with the telescope. My recomendation would be to get a pair of glasses that she may be able to wear at other times without the annoyance of the bifocal thing. For instance if she does a lot of reading , get a pair thats just close up lenses , with the astig correction of course.

NQLD_Newby
20-09-2007, 02:06 PM
NMO,

I also have astigmatism and wear glasses for it. I have tried observing, wearing my glasses (as my EP's have great eye relief), and not wearing them. To be honest with you I can't tell the difference and prefer the view without my glasses. The only thing I do notice is that my eyes focus at a totally different spot to anybody else that has a look through my scope, and therefore have to refocus after, (a small inconvenience really). Although I realise that everyones astigmatism is different etc etc etc, this is based on my personal experience, so tell her to give it a go without glasses and see what she says. Otherwise get some EP's with good eye relief, Vixen LVW and LV's both have 20MM eye relief, and there are many others also.

You might save her the expense of having to get specific glasses, or maybe..... have a good excuse to buy some more EP's :whistle:

Hope this helps.

BluMoon
25-09-2007, 08:08 PM
nmo,
Apparently Televue sell astigmatism filters to screw onto EP's...I do not know cost or if they will adapt to non TV EP's...may be worth investigating though.
I have astig and am keen to know if anybody else has given these a try.

Cheers
Guy