PDA

View Full Version here: : Very wierd circular guiding!

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I am using Guidemaster which should allow me to guide with the guide camera in any orientation.

I moved the position of my Guide camera from sideways to straight up and down, then clicked on 'calibrate'. It then 'auto' located stars and calibrated.

But all it does now is guide in circles!!!! The image in the imaging camera has stars that make perfect circles!!!! :shrug:

What have I done wrong in the calibration process?

Any help please.

P.S. It worked perfectly while I had the camera sideways.

mill
17-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Just stop confusing that poor program and put the camera back in sideways Ken :P

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't want it back in sideways, Mill. I want the orientation to match the imaging camera so I can move them together the same direction. And I need the imaging camera straight up and down to fit some of the objects into the rectangular shape of the chip.

h0ughy
17-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Ken when will you ever learn - you shove it in the way it wants to work not how you want it to work, [1ponders] showed me that at queensland. I ended up with the camera in a very non natural position and it was flawless. that was also with PHD

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 10:07 PM
OK, thanks Houghy.

I'll have to put it back in sideways then.

Its just that it's so much easier to centre an objects direction on the imaging chip when I can see the stars move the right way on the guiding screen.

Oh well, back to sideways.

h0ughy
17-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Geez don't listen to me I am an idiot.:scared:

there must be some logical and explanatory reason for this:whistle:
so I take it you cannot get prime focus from the rear directly and have to use a diagonal?

mill
17-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Another sugestion.
Can you turn the imaging camera so that it is the same as the guide camera?
Or is that not possible?

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Huh?

That's how I've always had it, until I found out today that I can orientate the guiding camera any angle as long as I calibrate it. But it won't work.

I have put it back in sideways and I have the imaging camera in upright.

I'll just have to get used to which way moves the images by the hand controller, as the guiding camera and the imaging camera are now 90 degrees different to each other :lol:

mill
17-09-2007, 10:30 PM
as the guiding camera and the imaging camera are now 90 degrees different to each other.
That is what i mean, If you turn the imaging camera 90 degrees then it is in the same position as the guiding camera and everything will move the same way with the hand controller.

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 10:33 PM
No, they are both Toucams. One is 90 degrees out to the other now. But it doesnt matter, now I have put the guide camera back sideways it's guiding great. If I turn them both the same, I can't get some objects to fit on the imaging chip. They end up top to bottom and they won't fit into the FOV that way, they need to be sideways.

I just tried to move the image into the centre of the imaging camera and I went up instead of sideways, so I'll just have to get used to which direction in the guide camera is the correct direction in the imaging camera.

:lol: Very confusing!

Astroman
17-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I thought you had the DSI working...

ballaratdragons
17-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Nope, not yet Andrew. I don't get my powered USB2 hub for another 2 days or so. :sadeyes:

The DSI won't work without it. So I am still pushing the Toucam while I have a clear night. But using a new Guiding program.

But this new guiding program (Guidemaster) is creaming all over Guidedog! With guidedog I used to get a tracking error of between 5 and -5 arcseconds. With Guidemaster I am only getting a guiding error of between 2 and -2 arcseconds.

Geoff45
18-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I had the same problem trying to autoguide with K3CCD tools. The star went round and round, but with PHD it locks on without any problems.