PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron CPC 11 First Light/First Impressions

garylea
15-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I've enjoyed using my old 4 inch refractor on a slightly dodgy EQ5, but time for the next level... I decide to spend a silly amount of money (saved for long while) on my dream machine, a Celestron CPC 11. Delivered Wednesday but had to wait until today because of work... :(

Two enormous boxes staring at me, one with the heavy-duty tripod the other with the fork-mounted OTA and accessories. A smaller third box containing a 17Ah Powertank. Unwrapping is easy (packaging good and kept by for emergenices), assembly straightforward (apart from a finderscope mount that requires two screws to come out of the tube ... gulp).

The whole shooting match weighs in at over 40 kilos, so not for the faint of heart then (over 25 for the fork-mounted OTA alone). However, it does have a series of good carry handles, so it is easier to lift than you might think. Ah well, needed to get fitter anyway.

Everything outside, finderscope aligned just before sundown and 'ready to go' at sunset. About two hours later, flip the switch. Handset and power LED on (the latter a bit bright). Reset to Local Time from Pacific USA timezone via Scope Setup. GPS Linked and coordinates correct. Now for Skyalign...

Choose three bright stars at suitably spaced intervals (doing rough focus and collimation check at the same time - latter OK) and, we are told, the system will do the rest. I choose my three at random by visual inspection and, following the menus, perform a rough centring with the finderscope, followed by a finer alignment through the supplied 40mm own brand E-Lux Plossl (of which more anon). "Match confirmed, Press ENTER". OK, prove it.

First, something easy for a basic cross-check. Jupiter. Whirr, whirr and dead centre. Slight adjust on focus and there it is. For planetary viewing, the eyepiece is OK (not as good as my no-name Plossls, being more iffy at the edges in viewing terms) but at least it provides a good starting point in of a reasonable field-of-view, low magnification back-end for my wonderful aperture monster. Switch over to my no-name Plossls and the images are as sharp as a knife, good tone and brightness. Jupiter's banding is clearer, more well defined (and, as promised, there is so much more of it).

Switching back to the E-Lux, I decide to take the tour and it is here that the eyepiece picks up a few points. The Triffid Nebula and Lagoon Nebula are textbook pictures, beautiful, crisp viewing. Binary star systems presented like twin diamonds at will. Everything appears close to dead centre (gentle nudges on the hand-controller to correct). I'm completely hooked... 10.30 comes and time to go in for what should have been tea (cremated offering).

If there is such a thing as love at first sight with astronomical gear, then this must be it. Everything done flawlessly and without fuss. A good, solid, large S-C tube allied with an equally solid mount and tripod, all topped off with some easy-to-use but pretty accurate GOTO electronics. What more could I ask for? Hmmmm ... what about that equatorial wedge and that imaging system I've been promising myself? :lol:

norm
16-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Great read Gary. Its always nice to hear things go right the 1st time. Nothings worse than spending your hard earn $$$ and some niggly thing ruins the experience.

Hope to hear more reviews down the track.

Best of luck!:thumbsup::)

Ric
16-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Gary, congrats on the new scope it sound like a beauty, glad to hear you had a great night out/first light with it.

Cheers

garylea
16-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks, guys. Yes, thank goodness no hitches (I was worried about collimation, etc. after courier had to travel out twice). Went out again at 4, going 4.30, cooled enough by 5 (as was I).

Mars was just stupendous. Stared goggle-eyed until just before dawn. Switched to Venus and, for fun, carried on. The crescent still showing dead-centre (albeit thin and, now, thermally fuzzed) as of ten minutes before this message. Full review to follow (hopefully with a better range of eyepieces...).

Gary

Ric
16-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I'll look forward to the review Gary.

Cheers

robin
16-09-2007, 01:27 PM
This is a good read Gary & it takes me back to the warm & fuzzy experiences i had with my 10" LX200 a few years back.The feelings/excitment you've described about the ordering, getting the big boxes, the impressive weight of the OTA & the tripod, the setting up & 1st light are exactly the experiences i had.Its a great feeling when everything JUST WORKS! Now all you need are a few nice clear nights in a row....enjoy

Hagar
16-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Glad to here your new scope is up to expectations. It is funny how time flies when you are having fun. It wouldn't be the first time I have gone in a little late for dinner only to be greeted with an agressive wife and a dinner that glows green from microwave radiation. Not sure if it is the meal or the wife that is green.:screwy:

Good luck with it all and have fun.
Doug

ballaratdragons
16-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah, why is it I always get called in for tea half way through a 3 star alignment procedure!!!
Don't people know to cook tea either earlier or later :P

Alchemy
16-09-2007, 05:59 PM
sounds like love at first light to me..

g__day
16-09-2007, 08:23 PM
May I suggest some accessories to consider over time:

1. Dew shield - make your own
2. Motor focuser - I use the Meade on my C9.25 from BinTel
3. 2" diagonal - I use Bintel $125
4. 7 * 50mm finderscope - I use Andres $99
4. Vixen LWU eyepieces - or any high quality eye pieces are warranted on that scope - the difference a high quality wide angle eye piece makes on that kinda scope (versus any high quality plossl is to seen to be appreciated). I buy from Steve at MyAstroShop

whmacs
17-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Gary,
Congratulations on the CPC-11! I'm a bit of a Celestron fan myself owning a N11GPS. I've had mind for 6 years and not had an issue. I hope yours brings you a great deal of enjoyment. I've got some general information on my website (see sig below) on using a 11" SCT.

Regards,
Stephen

allan gould
17-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Gary
Its great to hear of your experience. It gives a warm fuzzy feeling when the scope et all combine to give great views and you dont have to worry about this or that. Long may it continue for you. I have that same feeling of complete trust with my Losmandy G11/gemini and 10" SCT now that it works smoothly. Its the best feeling.

Astrodude
19-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Great stuff Gary, I'm keen to hear more on your thoughts. I'm looking at buying one of those beasties within the next few months (time to step up from the 'ole trusty 4.5in newtonian). From your experience it sounds like Celestron might have ironed out all the bugs - according to a similar thread on cloudy nights there were lots of teething problems with the CPC 1100 which had me wondering whether or not it was worth the risk (or the effort for the arm wrestle) for a good scope! Just quietly, I'm guessing it'll be worth it regardless!! Keep us posted. Trav.