PDA

View Full Version here: : Suggrestions on 70mm binoculars and a tripod

Stevo69
11-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm looking at buying either 11x70 or 15x70 binoculars from AOE (http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe70hp.html) with a tripod. I am doing this because my only equipment at the moment is a pair of 8x30's, and it will be many months before the 18" Dobsonian is complete. A pair this size will fill the gap in the interval, and I think, be an excellent asset after the Dob comes along.

I realise this size of binoculars will require a mount. Any thoughts from any members on:

These binoculars from AOE
A good, but not too expensive tripod (AOE sells this one (http://www.aoe.com.au/binoculars_accessories.html)).hoo roo,
Steve

chris lewis
11-09-2007, 08:01 PM
The AOE binoculars are highly recommended. They come from the Chinese 'Kunming' factory and they are made to high standards. They have the superior Bak-4 prisms [as opposed to the 'inferior' Bk-7 prisms ] - which reduces light cut off and they also come with the highest level of lens coatings - 'Fully Multi Coated' ['Broadband'] which maximises light transmission, reduces internal reflections and improves contrast. The main difference between the two - besides the magnification - is that the 11x has a 4.6 degree TFOV which gives a 'narrow' AFOV of 50 degrees [the AFOV is the 'breadth' of the view which is: FOV x magnification]. The 15x gives a 4.4 degree FOV but the AFOV is a relatively 'wide' 66 degrees. [More then 65* is considerd 'wide view'.] The 15x will also give you improved image scale. The other difference is the exit pupil - the 11x have a 6.4 mm which are more designed for very dark skies and 'young' eyes that dilate to that amount - if they do not - you will waste light. Plus with the 11x and you are in semi suburban / light polluted skies you may get a more 'washed out' background which will mean your eyes will not pick up the more faint DSO's. The 15x have an exit pupil of 4.7mm which may suit you better - esp. if your 'older' pupils do not dilate wide. Personally I prefer the 15x - having both sizes my self - your milage may vary and others may suggest the 11x - BUT because you will tripod mount - go for the 15x. That tripod will easily hold the 70mm size binos - it is a chinese copy of the Manfrotto 141 version pan head and 055 tripod and can hold up to 4 kgs / 100 mm binos and it extends to 6' 2''. Just my thoughts - good luck. [ I have have no affiliation with AOE ].

DJVege
11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Steve, I have these 15 x 70s from AoE and am very happy with them.

Model - AOE 11x70 or AOE 15x70....$139.00

However, if you are using a mount, you could also consider the 20 x 80 size from AoE.

Good luck.

Stevo69
14-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks Chris and DJVege, I placed an order on Wednesday with AOE and they advise my they'll arrive by Wednesday next week. Thanks for your opinons.

Hi Ace, I didn't order the tripod, simply due to money at this stage, but I will probably order them in the next 2 weeks. I was going to look at a couple of local camera stores this week, but I may and up getting the AOE ones. No problem, I'll definitely let you know if I get them from AOE.

Ha, Thanks Chris, nah I didn't think you did. But thanks for the excellent review and sharing your knowledge. When it comes to optics, I'm much the novice, but learning all the time.;)

hoo roo,
Steve

erick
14-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Steve

Which bins did you order?

Eric :)

EDIT: Got it! just read your sig! 15x70

erick
14-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I was asking because if you are looking in the camera store for a tripod and you cannot fork over the cash for a Manfrotto, I'd suggest looking at the Velbon range. You'll need to spend around $120.

I use a CX540 for 12x60s (that's easy) and for a set of 20x80s (now that's not so easy, but it can be done).

However, if I went back again I'd buy a Velbon CX660. Few more dollars but a much more sturdy head. I helped a friend buy that one for a pair of 20x80 bins and she is very happy with it.

CX660 - I see it advertised at $119 here:- http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4945.htm

Stevo69
15-09-2007, 08:10 PM
No problem, Eric. I wanted something I could use until the 18" Dob is complete and I've been doing a lot of practice estimating variable stars with my current bino's (8x30's), but I need something a bit bigger to advance more. An I must admit, the 8x30 don't really do much.

The CX-660 looks okay to me! Did you see it in person with your friend?

hoo roo,
Steve

erick
16-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, I bought the CX-660 for her and wished I'd seen them before I bought my lessor model. I've seen it in use - seems fine.

Stevo69
17-09-2007, 01:04 PM
The AOE 15x70's arrived today (shipped Friday, arrived Monday morning), pretty damn good service, if you ask me. First light hopefully tonight. (mmm... now what should I look at?)

erick
17-09-2007, 01:55 PM
tonight - perhaps clouds? :sadeyes: But tomorrow night should be clear up until midnight - I'm going out under dark(er than melb) skies! :thumbsup:

chris lewis
17-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Good choice. I always thought that a hi quality pair of 15x70's are one of the best 'allround' astronomical binos you can get - good image scale and exit pupil, a 'wide' Afov and enough aperture to get those faint DSOs - plus they are light enough to hand hold and / or use an inexpensive monopod. First sight has to be the star clouds in Sagittarius and Scorpius - M6 and M7 will look very impressive on a dark night. Clear skies.

Stevo69
26-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I admit I has a sort of 'first light' last week but I realised very quickly that I really needed a tripod. I thought I could hold the binos for brief periods, but it was unworkable. So I'm pretending it was a "pre-first light".

I ordered and received the HVT11 heavy duty tripod and metal binocular bracket and it arrived today from AOE (http://www.aoe.com.au)! I'm very impressed on the quality and look and the smooth movement of each axis.

Official first light in the next few days! And I can get stuck back into some variable star observations.

hoo roo,
Steve

Stevo69
03-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Well I had official first light tonight, and I'm full of mixed emotions.

Firstly, I began re-learning my star hopping skills from Aquila to Pegasus. I knew there is not many bino objects here, but I wanted to get used to the FOV and sky again. Ended up at M31 with ease looked magnificent - elongated with a well-defined central nucleus.

Star hopped to a few variable stars including R And, which I have never made observation on. Variables are going to be so much easier with 15x70's! Then I turned the binos onto the south. Very hard with the Melbourne light pollution, but made out the LMC, SMC and 47 Tuc with ease.

Then I noticed a little nebulosity rising in the east, between the trees. M42! Star hopped through Orion for next hour or so.

Only three issues came up. After 15 years without a telescope 3 things have struck me.

1. The light pollution has increased in the last 15 years. This may sound like an odd comment to make, especially to many who have been observing all these years. I could barely pick out the SMC and LMC with the naked eye. I have to adjust to this.

2. Two months ago I had to get glasses. I've come to the realisation that my eyesight has deteriorated in the last 15 years. Getting old, I guess. I spent nearly an hour night adapting and star hopping with the naked eye, when I realised I could try my glasses! Much better. The inconvenience was continually taking them on and off. I couldn't get close enough to the bino exit pupil with them on. Another thing to get used to.

3. My star hopping skills are very scratchy, but this improved over a couple of hours. Unfortunately, the sky this time of the year with the abovementioned light pollution does not give me many binocular objects to start with.

These three things I have to adapt to. (Might have to look at a dark sky site down the track).

On the whole a very enjoyable night. The new binos and tripod from AOE performed exceptionally well. Now it's on to building a Dob.

hoo roo,
Steve