PDA

View Full Version here: : Steel versus Aluminium EQ5

DJDD
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

How much more stable is the EQ5 with steel tripod than the EQ5 with aluminium tripod?

On the Bintel site both mounts indicate a load of 10kg maximum.
What would be the limit in weight for the aluminium version, especially if astrophotography is a goal?

cheers,
DJDD

Tamtarn
11-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi DJDD

We have tried both steel and aluminium tripods with our 8" newt on an EQ5 mount and because of the marked in difference in stability I would not consider putting an 8" on an aluminium tripod if you have astro photography in mind. A smaller ota maybe but for the price difference if you were buying new definitely go for the steel tripod regardless of ota size.

ving
11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
my understanding is that steel absorbs vibration better (?). steel may also flex less(?) but i dont think its about load bearing ability

am am sure someone will help more than i have :rolleyes:
:ashamed:

Omaroo
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
One of our clubs' most prolific astrophotographers, Martin, has his Mel Bartels-driven Vixen (CG5 originator) equatorial head mounted on the original cross-braced aluminium tripod and it carries a C8 SCT with camera piggybacked with no trouble at all. The proof is in the photography.

I have the steel tripod on mine (essentially the same setup) and I reckon that it flexes MORE in the lower legs than the alloy one. Go figure....

DJDD
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
thanks for the quick replies, everyone.

you would think steel would be better but Omaroo's comments put a new spin on things.

Andrews have a good deal on the Skywatcher EQ5's (steel and aluminium) and I guess I would prefer not to pay extra if it is not needed (even with the deal).

cheers,
DJDD

casstony
11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I've found the aluminium legs are fine when collapsed but very shaky when fully extended.

bojan
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Steel vs Aluminium...
It all depends on the design of the tripod (or whatever).
As far as vibration absorbing capability is concerned, the best material would be hardwood....

DJDD
12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks, bojan, for the reply.
i would have to hone my woodworking skills. :lol:

cheers,
DJDD

mib
13-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Steel v aluminium comes up in two areas of interest to me, astronomy and cycling. Further, many of issues around the two metals are relevant to both hobbies. So heres goes:

Weight for weight steel and aluminium have close to same strength. I know this sounds wrong because of how they used but never the less it is true. What causes the anomaly is that many things made from steel don't need to be as strong as they are, so when they are made from aluminium they are made only as strong as required, thus using less metal and saving weight.

In cycling aluminium frames are notorious for transmitting vibration, where steel is better at dampening them. I cannot see why this would be any different in tripods.

An important attribute of aluminium over steel that everyone knows is, it is less susceptible to corrosion.

As for which to choose, I think it probably makes little difference as they weight the same, therefore as each as strong as each other.:shrug:

So which ever you choose I hope you have clear skies to use it.:)

DJDD
13-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks, mib, for the reply.
I am looking at the steel as the price difference is not to extreme.
I think I will use the philosophy- you get what you pay for... :P

cheers,
DJDD