PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron CPC Plunge & Advice

garylea
04-09-2007, 12:31 PM
After a year's footling about (and lurking at this esteemed site), I have finally taken the plunge. I placed an order yesterday for a CPC 1100 plus a hi-cap Powertank (should be with me by Mon/Tue next week).
My wife will be so pleased when she see the boxes ... :whistle:

I am still basically a visual observer (some through-the-eyepiece shots but nothing special) but I may go for a wedge and some imaging gear later on (when the bank balance recovers ... ahem).

Gone for some Vixen LV eyepieces, too - sure, could get wider AFOV or other "better" for the money but happy enough :).

Will be happy to write a review if anybody interested.

Also, thoughts/comments on future/necessary accessories (e.g. recommended dew zappers, counterweight system if imaging switchover goes ahead, suitable imagaing gear, collimation tools, etc., etc.).

Cheers for now,

Gary

madwayne
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Gary,

Good luck with your purchase.

I am keen to hear about your CPC 1100 as I too am thinking at the moment that it is time to sell the 10" Dob and upgrade into an 8SE with GPS. The Dob is great but too bulky to easily transport.

As far as your EPs and other accessories go I am sure one of our more experienced IISer's will come along and share their thoughts and experiences, and I'll be here looking over your shoulder ;).

Clear skies and again all the best with the 1100.

[1ponders]
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Congrats Gary. It's always exciting when you order something you really shouldn't have :lol:

As for accessories; red torch, a good set of star charts, dew heater or dew shield (or both if you get bad dew) is a must. That will get you started. Give 's a yell when you get the wedge, then well show you how to spend money :evil:

garylea
04-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks Paul and Wayne - points so far noted.

The charts and red torch are already on order (I had a basic boxed set of these things from Philips, but feel I need something a little more detailed now).

The CPC 1100 is reckoned to be heavy (over 68lbs/31 kg) but handles well for the weight (good handles, etc.) and, with the right carrycases, should take up a comparatively small amount of space for an instrument of its aperture.

Yes, definitely looking forward to this and will post experiences.